Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone ever install Corbeaus?

i got a set for Corbeau Forzas and the accompanying adapter brackets. the brackets are just a plain piece of steel a bit wider than the seats are, with 2 holes, and 2 more holes with nuts spot welded on top. so i think to myself, this should be pretty straight forward...

:eek: not the case! first, the holes to bolt the adapter brackets to the seats werent far enough apart, by about 1/32" or so. no problem, i punched out one hole to 3/8" which gave me just enough room to get the bolts in straight. problem solved. or so i thought.

once i got the adapter brackets on what would be the passenger seat, i start to attach the sliders to the brackets. now it turns out that the holes to bolt the brackets to the sliders are spaced farther than stock. :banghead: now im pissed. i cant drill holes in the sliders to accomodate because there isnt enough material. i cant modify the holes in the brackets because they arent wide enough, and i cant spot weld the nuts on even if they were.

the sticker on the brackets clearly states that they are part # A22037 - 85+ GL sedan and wagon. now im hoping that im not stupid for thinking that the seat sliders and whatnot for the GL would be the same as the ones for the GL-10. im going to email the dealer i bought them from and see if theres any known issues with GL-10s, or perhaps a seperate bracket.

Have any of you ever had this problem? im hoping that i wont have to get custom brackets fabricated, but im not holding my breath either.

whish direction are you mounting them? along the length of the seat or across....
the adapter brackets bolt so that they travel the width of the seat (only way they fit on), and the sliders bolt up the length. the mounting points are slightly off-center, so i installed them so that they were as close as possible, and they are still about 3/4" off. :(

the brackets are identical. theres no difference between the brackets used in the front or back of the seats, or for driver or passenger. i double checked the application guide on the corbeau website.

i talked to andrew at corbeau. after making sure i installed them correctly i told him i could email some pictures to better illustrate what i was saying. on a good note, i was fooling around with the brackets and the sliders alone, and found out that they got those dimensions right. the sliders bolt right into the floor with the adapter brackets bolted in.

things are looking much better. i drove down to my garage to take a few quick measurements, and emailed my findings to corbeau. looks like theyre going to make me some custom brackets. hopefully they will update their dimensions so anyone else who gets corbeaus can just bolt them right in without any fussin'.

• 2 weeks later...

:D hot damn! theyre finally installed! i got my brackets on saturday, headed down to the garage and bolted the passenger seat right up. the drivers seat had to wait until sunday, as i needed to get some new, longer bolts to accomodate 1" spacers.

the GL-10 drivers seat has a height adjustment and both sliders have the ratchet thingies, connected by a wire to actuate the right side when you pull the lever on the left. to avoid any interference from this, i measured when the adjustment lever was held down as far as possible from the bottom of the seat to the farthest edge of the hoop where the wire was attached. 1" was my lucky number. i got some 1" long nuts, and a few washers and lock washers, and bolted everything down.

i was somewhat concerned about safety because i had used the spacers. i sat down and tried to rock the seat around a bit to make sure it was secure. the car rocked, but the seats were rock solid, didnt squeak or anything.

now i can really start driving it hard :brow: