Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Digi dash Answers?? Everyone who has one please give input!!

Kinda short notice but my kids car is plagued with the digi dash. I thought is was totally shot and it still may be but it displayed a issue that makes me curios. Okay so it has the everpresent squeal which Turbone says indicates spiking voltage from alternator. It also is dark as ever, well on occasion it will show very dim lights on tach, speedo, fuel and temp but the readings are useless, 8880 on tach, 1 on speedo and full bars on gas and temp. Well tonight it shows same things only brighter!! does this indicate anything that could resurect the dash?? I've swapped many an alt to no avail, they were all used so its very possible they were bad too..what does everyone think???

Pleeaaassee... help me out were trying to send her off and we need this vehicle to somewhat reliable.

It's probably a fried resistor/capacitor somewhere inside the dash. baccaruda has one for sale in the marketplace, if you can't grab that and you have time on your hands, get an analog dash and the appropriate senders and put that in (I would get an analog dash from a DL donor car if possible, since this is a pain and not worth it unless your daughter absolutely LOVES the car, and the DL has less gadgets to wire in).

thanks but mine is for an EA82!

check your battery cables for cleanliness or fraying.

check your main ground wires:

battery to chassis

engine to chassis

trans to chassis

and add a few more ground wires, notice that they are larger gauge wire like 10 or 8 gauge.

check your alternator harness for good wires too.

andrew/hondasucks had a few extra EA81 digis at one point, and .. hm, I may know where to scare one up. I'll get back to you on that. post here if it turns out that you need to replace it anyway.

I'll check in to the ground issues. Let me know if you can find a new one, I've looked everywhere I can with no luck. Putting in a anolog dash in the physical sense is easy, I have it out about 5 times already. The speedo cable is there is it dfferent from anolog? and what senders are needed? My 2 most major concerns are gas and speedo, temp can be added aftermarket if necessary or can switch senders? Some one was talking major conversion, has it been completed yet?