Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Snorkle

hey im puting a snorkle on my hatch. now i put a old air box on the top of the tube so it kind of looks like a safari snorkle top... with a little i mean a lot of imagination :rolleyes: but ne ways i was wondering what way should the top be pointing.. the front... down a little bit or backwards so no mud gets in it. or would forwards better for like ram air and what not...? for any one that has or have had a snorkle tell me if u get a lot or just some water in the snorkle when it is forwards..

thnks

I really dont see whats wrong with pointing it forward. You got a filter in there right? Let it do its job and replace it often. If it really concerns you that much about getting any dirt, mud, bugs, or small woodland creatures stuck in your snorkal then put a cone filter or a screen mesh on the front of the snorkel and leave yoru OEM box filter in there too.

I like the idea of having it reversable. That way you can face it forward for on-road or dry off-road use, then turn it around for those times that it could get splashed. The other thing you could do is install a "water trap" in the ducting, where the tube changes from vertical to horizontal in a 90 degree bend, with a small "appendix" thingy hanging down. If I didn't get my point across, imagine a T-fitting with about three inches of extra pipe coming out of the bottom with a cap on it. That would catch any water or large particulates that got sucked in.

• 1 year later...
I like the idea of having it reversable. That way you can face it forward for on-road or dry off-road use, then turn it around for those times that it could get splashed. The other thing you could do is install a "water trap" in the ducting, where the tube changes from vertical to horizontal in a 90 degree bend, with a small "appendix" thingy hanging down. If I didn't get my point across, imagine a T-fitting with about three inches of extra pipe coming out of the bottom with a cap on it. That would catch any water or large particulates that got sucked in.

The trap idea is one I have been toying with- like a little P trap or something with a drain plug at the bottom..