Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So... I replaced the alternator... now

I replaced the alternator in my '78 Brat. It was putting out less than 12 and it was the cause of my dead battery and stalling while running lights at night. (I understand a weak alternator can cause problems with the fuel pump?)

Well, I got 4 starts before the starter quit working... it is getting juice and clicks but won't roll over... did I kill it or is this just another "weird coincidence"?

I'm so frustrated with ths truck it's about ready to head for eBay!

Thanks!

Mary

Before you do something rash. Fully charge the battery. A good, fully charged battery should give you more than 4 starts. If you have a 10 amp battery charger with a current meter on it, you'll see the charge current is pretty high initailly. As it charges up, the current drops and how far it drops tells you how good the battery is. If it won't drop below 4 amps, the battery is on its last legs. A good battery will have the charging current down below 1 amp when it's done. Secondly, make sure all your high current connections to the battery, alternator, starter are clean and solid. Lastly check all the high current ground connections to the battery, motor, alternator and so forth. With a car as old as yours, bad connections are very likely. Good luck.