Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm back.... got a question

goatman

I was gone for about 3 months to Alaska for the summer but now I'm back in Spokane for school. I'm really happy because the subie is still running just as good as when I left it.

My question is about my rear brakes, its an 84 4wd wagon with drums and I've tried everything but I cant get the rear adjusters to budge!! I tried soaking them with penetrating oil and heating them up with a torch but nothing seems to work.

I havn't really looked at them to closely but it looks like I can remove to adjusters and get new ones? Is this a dealer only part or maybe the junkyard? Thanks guys and its good to be back.

If you can, find a set of rear disc for it. You'll wonder why you didnt do it earlier. Extremely easy swap to do also, just make sure its from a 4wd EA82.

If you cant get the adjusters backed off, you might not get the drums off either. What kind of torch were you using? A little propane one wont get it hot enough. Try tapping it (sharp hard ones) this might help loosen it up. I believe you only need to turn it 180deg to loosen them.

Kind of OT, but where did you work in AK? Fishery, cannery, boat or processor? Should have lots of $ to fix up your Soob :brow:

Turbone I worked up Sitka on a Charter boat and yeah I made plenty of money...unfortunately I need to save as much as possible for school.

I've heard about converting these cars to disks but I've kinda wondered if its within my ability? I'm sure there is a write up on this but what are all the parts I need? Thanks.

Its a real easy job, the hard part is finding the parts. Make sure you pull everything from a 4wd rig. Get the rotors, calipers with 2 bolts, backing plates and the 4 bolts. If you pull them it might help to label which side they came off of, it does matter. If you have ever done the front disc brakes on your Soob, its basically the same thing.

Hey GM, there are at least two turbo EA82 vehicles in Pull N Save RIGHT NOW. I don't know if they still have the rear brake hardware on them but they did a couple weeks ago when i was there last. One of them had pretty crusty looking rotors so you might hope the other one is still there.

you're 100% qualified in that case!

you need the rotors, calipers, backing plates (bring some PB blaster and a wire brush to scrape off the crap on the hub to make it easier to take off the backing plate), and the hard line on the control arm of the donor car.

The fun part will be getting the axle nuts off of the donor car without FUBARing the lugs. You could always get new lugs pressed in when you get the rotors turned though.

the only problem is that they chop the soft lines on the calipers at PNS. new ones are I think $18 each at napa, someone here (or elsewhere in spokane) might have a better deal on those for you.

Thanks for the replies, is PNS open on the weekends? If its open on Sunday I might try to make it there tomarrow. Sounds like I can do this project, one thing I'm worried about is will I have to bleed the brakes? I've never done that before but I don't think it will be that hard.

you're 100% qualified in that case!

you need the rotors, calipers, backing plates (bring some PB blaster and a wire brush to scrape off the crap on the hub to make it easier to take off the backing plate), and the hard line on the control arm of the donor c...ar.

The fun part will be getting the axle nuts off of the donor c...ar without FUBARing the lugs. You could always get new lugs pressed in when you get the rotors turned though.

the only problem is that they chop the soft lines on the calipers at PNS. new ones are I think $18 each at napa, someone here (or elsewhere in spokane) might have a better deal on those for you.