Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Shifter piece is stuck

This is the one thing I hate about Subarus. Their shifter design makes removing components of the shifter (in my case, to replace bushings) extremely difficult. I'd rather replace all my front oil seals all over again instead of doing this.

I don't know how to accurately depict what I'm trying to do with words, so I made a very good pic of the situation :):

Shifter.jpg

I'm trying to get the yellow part off the green part. I've already removed the pins, and I've been hammering against the yellow part with a tie-rod fork levered against a bolt on the tranny case. I have spent no less than 30 minutes straight hammering on this piece, yet it will not come off. I've immersed it in PB Blaster and rust penetrator. I'd keep hammering, but I'm scared of what damage I could do to the transmission, as I'm basically slamming it into gear everytime I hit on it.

Has anyone else tried something that worked for them? I'm out of ideas...

Thanks in advance...

I noticed you said pins in your post

There are three pins in the hole-

1) cotter pin

2) inner split pin

3) outer split pin

The outer split pin is forced open buy the inner

Sometimes it's very hard to see.

BTW, a bolt that

a 12mm socket sized nut fits on should pass through the hole if all the pins are removed.

Hope this helps.

I know there are two roll pins, same as the pins that go through the axles, except shorter. I call them "alligator" pins because there's a toothy-looking pattern where the metal splits. I know of no cotter pin :confused:

My Legacy had two of those pins, an outer pin and an inner pin. The same situation with that, it took me days just to get the freekin pins out... But it didn't take me long to get the yellow part off, in fact, it popped off and clocked me straight in the face, cutting a gash in my nose :mad:

I'm positive I got all the pins out, because I can see the difference between the yellow piece and the green part, from inside the hole...

It really doesn't matter at this point, because I just got back from Sears where I picked up a Dremel and a set of cut-off discs. The yellow part is coming off in pieces :dead: I just hope the dealer can locate me a new one...