Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Low End Torque

Jibs

I know this has been asked a million times, but this is as much for everyone else as for myself:

What can I do to the original engine, body, etc... of a brat to add low end torque to the thing?

I know of a Weber Carb, but what else? I want to use my Brat mainly for some heavy duty 4 wheelin. Thanks a lot.

Not sure if this is true on the subi manafold but if you lenghten the intake runners, for example ,the carb spacer you might be able to get some low end torque. Not sure on the details, might want to look it up. It was a long time ago that I read the post.

Get into the motor and get a better cam, the exhaust is always a good place to start, but as with any engine, how much you play is dictated by how much you pay. you could get a Ram Engines long block with bing altitude compensating carburettors for 8,000$, but is it worth it? go with the webber and a better exhaust, other than that and you'll be spending big money.

I'm not sure of the specifics on exhaust, but for torque I would go with relatively small diameter dual exhaust that's joined together with an X-pipe setup about where the stock Y-pipe joins. Run a three-chamber muffler on each pipe with no cats (Cartman: No kittie, that's a bad kittie!!!!). Others can tell you a lot more about exhaust for subies, I was just trying to point you in the general direction.

For induction, I would recommend going one of two ways. As mentioned, you can swap on an ea82 carbed setup, either with the stock Hitachi or with a Weber. I would recommend a Weber and some experimentation with carb spacers for better low-end. If you are handy with wiring and have a good JY nearby, you could swap on an ea82 SPFI fuel injection setup, which would give similar power compared to a Weber but with better drivability characteristics, which is good for offroading.

You can also probably get away with a bit more ignition timing advance than the factory setting. Stock is 8 degrees, and you can usually run around 12 on regular gas. Just listen carefully for any pinging. If you've got the cash, you might go for an MSD ignition setup, but that's a pretty penny.

And of course, we must remember that before doing ANY mods, you should make sure that your engine runs its best, as a poorly tuned mod motor probably won't do as well as a stock engine that runs like a top. Get a new cap and rotor, plugs, 8mm or other large plug wires, Accel or similar high voltage coil, and if yours has solid lifters, check the valve lash settings.

Best of luck!

If you do the bigger intake and improve the exhaust, consider going with the 38/38 Weber instead of the 32/36. It'll eat a bit more gas but the low end grunt is nice. Regarding exhaust, don't make it flow too well. Some back-pressure really helps low end torque. I did 2" tube from the heads back and actually lost HP and torque. I'd recommend using the stock skinny tubes from the heads back to approximately where the cat is.

How about a EJ engine swap...that'll help!