Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Insane Fuel cut...suddenly?

Treid to run a search on this; to little help, i got loads of just "fuel" related stuff...

lately, as of yesterday, just about every time i really stomp on it, i hit some really bad fuel cut. Once, twice, few times, till i get off it, and its pretty violent. I've felt fuel cut in cars before, but this is quite alot rougher than others i've felt. I can feel small amounts of fuel cut at lesser loads, its tough to accelerate lately without hitting it. I think my timming may also be a smidgeon off because under heavy, heavy load i can hear what sounds like a little bit of detonation, but no Cel from the knock sensor? It sounds kinda like sand dropping through the downpipe. Do i need to adjust my timing? fuel pressure? i'm running 10psi on my turbo, intercooled. Help!

Thanks,

Dan

hey danbob,

I can't say I have an answer for you but this issue is something I'm familiar with. I think we talked about it at WCSS (Maybe I was :drunk:) And it is an issue that a number of people have delt with and one worth getting to the bottom of

Mine has gone away mostly and I can't actually "show it" to anyone because it happens randomly.

The only thing I've done since experiencing it is put in an adjustable RRFPR made by Bosch, sold as an MSD. It has allowed me to crank the FP up to 45 or so and it seems to have almost fixed the problem.....

Have you tried disconnecting the "Boost Cut" switch? Probably did that a long time ago.....

You might want to examine the fuel delivery system.

Your description of sand down the down pipe make me think you probably want to check your turbo while you're at it

garner

Fuel filter is good, just changed it a few weeks ago. Tried the octane booster, cheep crap sold at schmucks, didn't work all that great. The intensity of the cut has lessened, i don't hit it in first gear anymore, lately it's only been second, nearing 4,500

Anyone ever heard of using Toulene (spelling?) as an octane booster? commonly found at home depot or a paint store?

yes i have .. supposedly works well i suggest doing a google or vivisimo search on it first tho not sure what if any thing it does to the o2 sensor it will raise the flash point of gasoline so it does not ignite as easy

as i recently mentioned to garner if he ever checks his email :)

i got rid of fuel cut problems and also have solved the hi boost pinging seems the stock suby turbo ecu yes it does run a bit rich .. just cannot deal with raised boost and meter fuel very well

i also run 10 psi and a not installed yet intecooler on cheap gas that i can afford and fairly decent ignition advance and do not get knock now.. reason being that i can figure .. i am now supplying enough metered fuel to the motor

The main ingredient in Octane Boosters is often Toluene (114 octane). The clever thing is that by packaging it in 6oz. containers and using the words Octane Booster, you can magically turn a $3.99 gallon of Toluene into an $85 a gallon gasoline supplement.

Toluene is a pure hydrocarbon (C7H8). i.e. it contains only hydrogen and carbon atoms. It belongs to a particular category of hydrocarbons called aromatic hydrocarbons. Complete combustion of toluene yields CO2 and H2O. This fact ensures that the entire emission control system such as the catalyst and oxygen sensor of your car is unaffected. There are no metallic compounds (lead, magnesium etc), no nitro compounds and no oxygen atoms in toluene. It is made up of exactly the same ingredients as ordinary gasoline. In fact it is one of the main ingredients of gasoline.

Toluene has a RON octane rating of 121 and a MON rating of 107, leading to a (R+M)/2 rating of 114. (R+M)/2 is how ordinary fuels are rated in the US. Note: toluene has a sensitivity rating of 121-107=14. This compares favorably with alcohols which have sensitivities in the 20-30 range. The more sensitive a fuel is the more its performance degrades under load. Toluene's low sensitivity means that it is an excellent fuel for a heavily loaded engine.

Toluene is denser than ordinary gasoline (0.87 g/mL vs. 0.72-0.74) and contains more energy per unit volume. Thus combustion of toluene leads to more energy being liberated and thus more power generated. This is in contrast to oxygenated octane boosters like ethanol or MTBE which contain less energy per unit volume compared to gasoline. The higher heating value of toluene also means that the exhaust gases contain more kinetic energy, which in turn means that there is more energy to drive turbocharger vanes. In practical terms this is experienced as a faster onset of turbo boost.

Toulene

R+M/2...114

Cost...$4.00/gal

Mixtures with 91 Octane Premium

10%...93.3 Octane

20%...96.0 Octane

30%...97.9 Octane

You can make your own by combining Toluene with Kerosene in a 6:1 ratio and gain approx. 1.1 octane (RON) by adding 1 gal. to a 20 gal. tank of gas. You can buy Toluene in 1 gal. or up to 55 gal. from a Sherman Williams Paint store. Care need be taken when mixing it and storing it. Octane ratings can be very easily calculated by simple averaging. For example, the tank of an Esprit is 21.0 gallons. Filling it with 20 gallons of 91 octane and 1 gallon of toluene (114 octane) will yield a fuel mix of:

(20.0 * 91) + (1 * 114) / 21.0 = 92.09

Found this on the "piston heads" website

Figure i'll take tonight to go find me some Toluene...Sorry for spellin it wrong too!

The problem sounds like the one various people have had over the years and people will for many more...You say that you are running 10psi ... You have a boost guage to read this then, if the cut happens after 5 seconds above 9psi then this is the ECU stopping you lunch the engine! If you have the air flow meter with the flap door sensor then this cut out can be over ridden by disconnecting one of the pressure switches by the AF sensor, (one does the dash lite for the turbo symbol the other is for the ECU)

Otherwise if you have the "HOTWIRE" sensor I think that Skip is one of the few to have overcome this?!?!? You should get used to this counting to 5 if you are pushing the car! :)

Michael

Thats a good thought "rallyman" i guess all this did happen in close relation to me having plumbed my "boost light" though i don't have the flapper intake, i think that might still be along the same lines.

i did though, try and disconnect that second vacuum selenoid on the right srtut tower. To my suprise...no more boost cut!!! Though heres the kicker...i also boosted at a minimum of about 18psi....i don't know how hi it would go, didn't want to try, got off it as soon as i saw it that high, and heard it begin to detonate...

So why would unplugging that selonoid, and bypassing vac lines cause my boost to shoot through the freakin roof like that?

And one more...i can't find any Toluene, searched a few stores, but alot were closed already, no luck though. Lots of Mek...can i mix that?

because one of those is a pressure switch that tells the ecu to open the wastegate solenoid ... so..no pressure signal being sent to ecu then the wastegate solenoid stays closed

i bypassed my suby wastegate control system when i put my apc box in i only left the turbo light working ..

actually i just stuck a bolt into teh orginal hose that went to the wastegate can to plug it

and then hooked up the apc unit speaking of wich.. i need to change wastegate can's too the saab can it opens at 5 psi versus the 8ish that the suby can opens at it will allow my apc a bit more leeway in case it needs to drop boost to stop the detonation