Ultimate Subaru Message Board

problem, car will start then die

Don't really know on SPFI/MPFI cars, ...... But maybe you buggered the coolant temp sensor when changing the MAF unit. Engine is cold, needs more gas to run, CTS isn't saying engine is cold, so it ain't getting the gas it needs.

Just a thought...................

cleaned the ivac valve , no change , all vacuum lines are good, it was alittle dewy this morning , a very bad surging problem now in the morning , this afternoon is started ok then quit , while ideling you could hear the surging , i have given up , any suggestions ,before I BURN IT TO THE GROUND

maybe the wire or terminal is corroded? jim i will be there this weekend.

tom, would you have a spare alternator?

alleyboy, i have the same piece of metal i made jims carrier mount with, i will bring that and the welder. see if you can conjure up some small strip of steel about an inch wide, 1/4 thick, some angle iron or of that sort

the MAF was replaced with one that wasnt obviously broken, whilst wiggling some wires the car maintained idle. it has to be temp related, as the car gets warm it doesnt stall. but it doesnt idle fast when cold either.

jim replaced the temp sensor with a new one from the dealer, and it doesnt seem to make a difference even unplugged it runs the same. so i am thinking of a bad spot on the harness

last night simply unlugging the ecu and re installing it seemed to fix the problem untill we messed with the coolant sensor. before that we had code 23 and 51, MAF and neutral switch. after r&r the ecu no codes. now we have a code 21 and 23, maf and coolant temp sensor, even though the temp sensor is new.

its gonna call for some probing of the harness, i'll check all the grounds on the motor first, then probe to the ecu, and if i find dead spots then off comes the fender.

the spfi engine harness did have a corroded terminal, but not the maf wires, and not the temp sensor wire, but the white wire right next to the temp sensor any ideas?