Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4-link setup, how does it work?

Well I'm planning on putting a Datsun pickup solid H190 rear axle into my Brat. I also am planning on doing a 4-link setup in the rear but I know I'm going to have to custom make it myself which shouldn't be too tricky. I just need some help trying to figure it all out and make it work. I am planning on building a tubular chassis that I will have the front end, rear end, motor and tranny mounted too, then I am going to drop the Brat body onto it. If anyone knows of a good website that explains it all and would help me plan out my setup, lemme know please:D

well the front suspension setup would also be from a Datsun pickup as well. The motor is going to be a Chevy 2.8 v6 and the transmission is a Borg-Warner T5 5-speed. So basically the only thing left that will be Subaru will be the body. I am hoping to build a Brat drag car in a way. Running 11 second 1/4 I hope:D

Hey Caboo are you taking chassis fab after your core program? if you are then you'll be able to get all your answers there. I've seen a few done already, there was a kid, I say kid because he was only 17, he took a older ranger, put a 4-link with air bags placed midway with the axis point almost at the center and 2-1/2 ton rockwells gave him over 36 in. of adjustable travel. there alot you can do with a welder and the right calculations.

if you are planning on using it for offroad. which i'm guessing not too much. since you are planning on dragging it. you can look through the pirate board. there's a lot of info on triangulated 4 links for offroad and other uses.

Pirate board? Whats that and do you have a link to it possibly? Yeah offroading is kinda out of the question with a lowered Brat. I tend to go offroading in large trucks but if I want the occasional Subaru wheelin, I know people to go with:D

the pirate board is a rock-crawling site. They have lots of 4-link stuff but it's all for making huge flexy monsters not for drag cars that want to hook up best on a launch. i doubt you'll find anything other than some definitions, but even then the definitions will be in the context of rock climbing. If you want to bother with its http://www.pirate4x4.com

Not to be an rump roast or anything, I think most of the idea sounds cool.......BUT...Why in gods name are you going to use the worst V6 GM ever made?

I resent that. The FWD 2.8s are crap. This will be from a RWD car. I also have a set of twisted wedge aluminum heads for it plus a set of 350 rods with the offset shaved off of them....all I have to say is 12:1 compression. I have one of these motors in my 1988 Camaro. It has 148k on it and I need to mess with the timing again because I screwed it up but it runs like a champ!!!Besides, its one of the smallest v6s and it fits better then any other v6.....so QUIT TALKIN CRAP ABOUT IT!!!!! I hate it when people do that, sheesh....

Sorry, I've just never really heard good things about them, let alone someone building one up. I'm used to the ones in the Blazers tossing rods through the blocks, and they were real pigs in thoes trucks. Now that you mention it, they weren't a bad motor in a Camero with a 5 speed, moved out pretty well.

But why not go with a Subaru drivetrain? AWD with an EJ turbo motor could get you into some low numbers, no?

Really, I go along with the comment on the 2.8 being a junky engine. On the otherhand,.... A nice beefy 4.3L with, proper talking, to would do you good. But that's just my opinion.

On the 4-link part. Think you'd find some good reading if you went to the hotrod magazine site and did some reading. Draggers have done 4-link rear suspension for eons just about. There should be lots of info in their archives. Don't have a website link for them, otherwise I'da put in here.....

Then there's the 5-link setup. Still dun't know what that's all about, but it's supposed to be better.

Find myself wishing that I had kept closer ties with my old drag'n days. Lot's of good times, lots of good friends. And humongus HP about the place. Gotta love it!!!!!