Ultimate Subaru Message Board

injector questions

anyone know what the difference in flow rates are between the ea82t and ej22 injectors. i am thinking of trying for some legacy injectors for my rx when i add the bigger turbo and intercooler. i am hoping to get the APEXi s-afc for the rx. i have been told that the injectors should fit the manifold and fuel rails from the ea82. im pretty sure that the ej22 injectors flow better than the ea82 injectors.

even if they fit.. and with the afc fooling thingy..

the suby ecu will stil controll them like stock ea82t injectors

plus whatever "fooling" you get from the afc

also since they dump more fuel during each open than the ea82t.. chances are its going to run rich at idle and off boost and might be just about right on boost

the stock ecu will not know that it has bigger injectors with higher flow rates and.. as such it should then shorten the amount of open timer per injection to run them correctly

oh yeah .. measure the resistance on the injectors and compare it to stock suby and also check the ej22 resistor block resistance

if its all close enough then it should work.. fine minus what i mentioned

if the resistance.. err ohm are diffrent then you have the potential of burning out the injector drives in the ecu

you can add extra resistor's to correct it

well i have no idea how the afc stuff works.. but then again i don't need it l as long as it will work then go for it :)

btw shadow is making some custom injector rails that will let you use most injectors styles that do not have the little hose piece on em

really, any link to these rails or info about em?

Our injectors (ea82's) are of a hose feed type. Modern EJ injectors are of an o-ring seal type.

The injectors may fit in the manifold, but the stock fuel rail will not be able to attach to the EJ injectors.

Its possible to fabricate some new fuel rails (I did) however in order to make them the O-ring style will require some good manufacturing abilities. Shadow is in the process of designing and manufacturing some rails, but it will be sometime before they are available I think. Do a search to find out more on that.

Also, I believe I am the only person on the board currently running an SAFC on a EA82. As it is, I'm at the ragged limits of it. I will be megasquirting my ride soon.

For just increasing boost, with light exhaust and intake mods, the SAFC was able to handle the changes relatively well. But it is by no means as good as a "standalone ecu." How the SAFC works is it takes the MAF signal and modifies it. Either increasing or decreasing the voltage to get the desired results. However, in 87+ cars with the hotwire MAF, this signal also triggers the fuel cut. So, its possible that to use the SAFC to change the signal too much, and hit fuel cut at stupid times. This is the reason i'm getting rid of the SAFC. Because its very hard to get any increase in fuel without activating the fuel cut.

To sum it up:

Legacy Injectors: New fuel rails required, if doing this much, might go all out and get universal Bosch injectors for what flow rate you need.

SAFC: For more boost/intake/IC, will be OK. Its not the cure all. You will still hit fuel cut. If your thinking of a bigger turbo, forget even bothering with it, go straight to megasquirt.

thats the way i eventually want to go, but i am on a very tight budget until i can find a job.i have most of the parts i will need to put in the car, i just need a new throttlebody, intercooler plumbing, hoodscoop, new injectors, exhaust manifold (custom, ofcoarse), and fuel managment.

after i get the upgrade complete, i will the start looking into something like what oddcomp did with the edis setup. then if at all possible, i might try for custom hubs or the 5lug conversion.

i still want to know the flow rates of the injectors.

Does anyone know the stock injector flow rate?

The injectors from the Datsun 280Z FI look like a direct fit, though I haven’t confirmed that yet. The early N/A (green?) ones are rated 188cc @ ?psi, the later turbo ones (brown) are 265cc @ 45psi. Might be an option for higher boost and off boost richness might be solved with some FPR tweaks.

Just a thought

Gary