Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yet Another steering question!

Hello Subie lovers,

I have a 1984 GL wagon, the original PKmobile. I just replaced the power steering rack with a rebuild (from http://www.carsteering.com) and that nice tight rack made the slop in my steering coupler u-joint stand out like a....well, it is sloppy.

I found one at the local PnP, only $10, but it came from a Subie with 197k on it, and has a bit of slop too. I just called the local Subaru store, since both my local parts shops said that they can't replace the u-joint, and SOA says that I have to buy the whole steering column! $400!

this blows chunks. Has anyone gotten that u-joint replaced?

I have the tighter one installed, so I can take the sloppy one apart, but one shop said the bearing caps are too small to replace.

this doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but I thought I would put it out to you all.

Thanks,

Mendo

you can part off a tilt column and use the u-joints from inside it. that is what i used when i lifted my wagon, the splines and pinch bolts will fit the same

Thanks Miles! great idea, and ANOTHER part rescued from my '82 Subimarine!

:grin:

I sank a subie on the beach 3 years ago, and have been pulling bits off of it ever since. It has tilt, and I just got the shaft out of it, and the u-joint is in great shape. You get them from the yoke by grinding the little punches out and pressing in a vise?

anyway, a step forward! Thanks again.

Mendo