Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just got: 2004 Forester w/ 6000 miles..Should We get extended warrenty?

I think they're a waste of money on most vehicles, esp. Subarus. You still have 30k left on your bumper-to-bumper, and 54k left on your powertrain. If you took the cost of an extended warranty and invested it today, you'd have enough money for a catastrophic repair by the time you hit 100k miles, and the likelihood that you'd actually need it would be slim.

Another thought....where is your extended warranty if two weeks from now some clown totals the car on you? If you take the money that the dealership wants for the extended warranty and put it into the bank instead...you'd still have it to spend on the replacement vehicle when it needed repairs.

(which is, after all, only an insurance policy), when you discover that after your car has gone clank, the company has gone Tango Uniform.

It's endemic in the industry.

Follow the previous advice, do regular maintenance and start a kitty. If you need it, you've got it. If not, you're saving for the down payment on your next Subaru!

The bumper to bumper warranty is for 36K, the powertrain up to 60K. Of course, the dealer will do everything to avoid fixing the car like they did me on my '03 WRX wagon. I didn't get the warranty on my forester when I bought it in '01 nor did I get the warranty on the WRX wagon. Neither car went to the dealer other than a shift problem with the WRX which they said was normal.

Not to pick on your choice of car, but 18.5K seems a bit much to pay for a basic forester with 6K on it. I don't know your situation, but you can find a '02 or '03 H6 VDC outback in the same price range with 20K miles. Besides the heated seats, you get the cool Macintosh audio system, 6 cylinders, leather, etc.. I liked the forester except for the constant creaking of the hatchback which no one could figure out.

Well, I'm up in Alaska.....prices are a bit more up here.

That's not a bad deal for Fairbanks, I'm pretty sure.

The bumper to bumper warranty is for 36K, the powertrain up to 60K. Of course, the dealer will do everything to avoid fixing the car like they did me on my '03 WRX wagon. I didn't get the warranty on my forester when I bought it in '01 nor did I get the warranty on the WRX wagon. Neither car went to the dealer other than a shift problem with the WRX which they said was normal.

Not to pick on your choice of car, but 18.5K seems a bit much to pay for a basic forester with 6K on it. I don't know your situation, but you can find a '02 or '03 H6 VDC outback in the same price range with 20K miles. Besides the heated seats, you get the cool Macintosh audio system, 6 cylinders, leather, etc.. I liked the forester except for the constant creaking of the hatchback which no one could figure out.

• 7 years later...