Ultimate Subaru Message Board

heater fan problem

JWX

does anybody have the link for the fix then? I can't seem to find it by searching.
I just pull the resistor blocks at the yard and keep changing them out. If your looking for a more permanent fix:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2614&page=2&pp=20&highlight=resistor+block

Or maybe

http://electronickits.com/kit/complete/motor/ck1400.htm

Good luck.

Look at them; there are three coils of resistor wire. If any one or all of them are broken the unit is no good. Be very careful handling the wires, they are very fragile after all this time and you might pull a good one and find a broken wire on it when you get home. Your best bet is to look for the newest Loyale or GL model you can fine (same unit from '81 to '93).

how do you know which ones are good?

mine did the same type of thing where it only worked in one selection, only in that instance it was the temp select (knew it was heating, it just wasn't blowing) turned out to be the switch wiring problem. those slanted consoles have a lot of problems, go out quick and whatnot. however i am not sure about the knob... i think you should go for the swap out, i don't have any better pictures, but you could get one cheap, and that will likely solve your problem. if it doesn't, look into it being a wiring problem.