Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My '84 MY wagon is now another 2" higher :) (dialup warning)

stinky

Last weekend we fitted a 4" kit to my wagon. It's now as tricked out as one of these babies will go without spending big bucks! :)

EA81, Webber, 2 1/4" exhaust no cat, sports muffler, 4" lift, snorkel, gearbox/diff breather extended to cabin, big towhook at the front, wrap around bullbar, full rear bar replacement spare wheel carrier.

DSC01178.JPG

This picture has an upended besser brick under the rear end to try and show scale for the lift (45cm or ~18in just behind rear wheel).

DSC01183.JPG

DSC01186.JPG

DSC01184.JPG

DSC01185.JPG

DSC01181.JPG

Its easy as guys,

MY describes the EA81 cars, (some of which had EA71's) and L series is the EA82 powered cars. We never had EA71 engines in the L series here. There are very few pre MY cars here but if they do arise they are usually just referred to as the model code, eg a 1978 Brat is an L88.

Stinky - love the 4" kits, you gonna be at the bbq?

Thats one awesome MY car !!!

Any chance you could post pics and/or describe how you setup the snorkel with the filter, ect??

Are those stock 13 inch rims??

That brush guard looks like it was made for a sooby?? Did you make it or is it an aftermarket direct bolt on??

:slobber:

The wagon looks great. I'm bigtime envious of the front bumper.

You guys gotta get Super Swampers down there. I see all these photos of lifted Soobs, but the tires I see on them are pretty tame. :)

Well don't forget the part "with out spending big bucks!" :) I know what you mean tho...

What rims are those? They look like the proper bolt pattern w/o any modification. What's the backspacing on them?

What a truly bad rump roast Soob! Lucky you in Oz land get to rip out the cat rather than pony up $250 for another clump of Platinum and Palladium when she clogs.

Nice snorkel too. I'd say the only thing missing is a front mounted winch to pull you out when you are fording one of those Aussie swamps alone.

Nice wedding tent / garage too, BTW.

These guys invented putting 2.2s into them, they have $, just not Swampers.

The rims are made for Soobs with the 4X140 pattern. Like mine. :grin:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=2182

If that was the case couldn't they just import a set? I'm sure there are other options locally for mud terrains. They should have crazy Baja Bush Basher tires! Lord knows I wouldn't want a flat tire or be stuck out in the bush of Australlia... some crazy lizard would eat me for lunch :lol:

WHO makes them is what I mean; they look kinda like the Scorpion rims.

I am not sure of the bullbar, although it looks like a TJM one. There are several manufacturers of bullbars in Australia so it could be any of those. We kinda need good solid bars here, it isn't to protect the car from brush, its for kangaroos, wombats, pigs, pedestrians, emus etc etc Good place to mount a winch and spotties too.

The wheels are Speedy Desert Rat's they fit the subes, but the offset is all wrong, the centre hole is also the wrong size. But they are cheap and are a 14" rim, so they end up on a lot of subes, so many now that the cops don't even really look at them.

We don't have as large a range of tyres in the 14" size as you guys do, mainly because there just isn't the market to support it. The most aggressive tyres we can get in our size is the BFG MT style, which a lot of manufacturers copy. I have a set of Goodyear Wrangler TG's in the shed ready to go on my wagon when I get the lift finished - they are a fairly aggressive M+S tyre. We can get Swampers here, so long as you want 33"+ sizes. The other thing too is that we don't really have crazy mud here (gonna get flamed for this comment...) that really needs hardcore tyres. I have been 4wdriving for close to 10 years as a driver, and 20+ years as a passenger and I have only ever been bogged in mud once. This was in a 78 Landcruiser with BS Desert Duelers on it. My dad had a Pajero (Montero?) with AT's on it that we drove the Bloomfield track in Far North QLD during the wet season, and whilst it was slow going and crawling sideways a bit, we never once had to get out of the car. I think I could fairly confidently say that even if we could get 28" Swampers here, the only people buying them would be for pose value.

The Snorkel is made from SS pipe, and what appears to be a Safari intake. Head over to the AUSubaru forums and search for Snorkel, there are a few more pictures of it getting around over there.

Being a 4" lift kit it will be one of Brett's BYB kits.

We can't legally remove a cat in Australia, however only post 1985 factory unleaded cars are required by law to have one fitted. Therefore, Stinky's MY does not need to run a cat by law. However, he could legally fit one and run unleaded fuel if he chose.

Don't need a winch, subes are too tough for winches :grin:

Although I am considering one, to help extricate my Bro'in'Laws Sammy, for when he gets stuck ;)

The wheels are 14" steel Sunraisers (also known as desert rats or sunnies) which are usually white, but are hammercoated grey. These are probably the most common 4wd rims around and can be found on just about every make and model 4wd.

As you can see below it goes into an airbox in the spare wheel carrier. I have since had a custom box made up that is bolted to the webber for the airbox to connect to. No photos of this yet. But I'll take some.

DSC00966.JPG

The brushguard (bullbar as well call them) is as far as I know an aftermarket one built specifically for the subaru. It's known as wraparound style and replaces the entire front bumber. The one I have on the brumby is even better from a company called SubaXtreme.

The rear wheel carrier is a steel bumper replacement that fits on exactly the same way a bumper does with the wheel carrier attached to it. I don't really have any shots of this that are any better than the ones I have already posted. Although I do want to remove it to respray it, so I may take some shots then.

The 4" lift kit is a BYB kit with a few modifications to deal with the mess left behind by the old 2" kit (not BYB).

Yes I will be at the BBQ but I will be in the Brumby not the wagon. I'll try and line up a driver for the wagon as it seems a shame to leave it at home on such an event.

Oh yeah, the shocks are air shocks which get manually pumped by a 12v compressor in the tool compartment in the back ( little hatch on the left hand wall in the cargo area ). I think the brand is "Pedders" but that probably doesn't exist in the states.

They fit straight onto the suby without an adaptor and fit a 2" lifted kit perfectly. They have a 2" height spacer for the 4" kit.

• 8 months later...