Ultimate Subaru Message Board

repair vinyl door (doggy chew)

Free car came partially digested by animals. Nearly every door panel has been clawed to the foam in various degrees. It's a 93 Legacy with dark blue vinyl. Any suggestions for repair other than what was already there.... light blue painter's tape... would be an improvement. I'm trying to spiffy up this car for a 16 year old who probably has no idea that there is a hole in one fender the size of my head!

I'd check out the nearest large junkyard. If they happen to have the right color and close to the model year, ask em what they'd charge per panel. If it's reasonable, and worth it to you, then go check it out at the j/y for condition. If still interested, go to autoparts store. Purchase a (cheap) "trim removal tool" and go home and practice with it by removing one of the door panels from your car. Do your son a favor and buy him a Haynes manual ($15) if you can't figure it out. Once you see how the knobs and armrests come off, the panel itself is quick. A little cleanup and that baby'll look like it's straight off the showroom floor.

Guest Vickaroo

16 year old boy + free car = make him do it (while you supervise of course)

Heck whats he going to hurt? Let him learn. And have him buy the supplies it takes to fix it up... Vicky

Hey Vicky,

Who said it was a 16 y/o boy. In fact it is a girl, daughter of a friend. We live in a very wealthy community and I am so impressed that she hasn't turned her nose up at the car. I did all the body work today (holes the size of my head) and she's so excited. She doesn't seem to mind the dog chew interior (and smell to boot). I just want her to see that things can be repaired and made useful. One day we may see her on the site complaining about the guy who trashed her car in the parking lot (sound familiar?) and rest assured that repairs are possible.

Regards.

well be glad

that the doggys did not leave the digested remains for you to reassemble ..

like a jigsaw puzzle or something

btw teaching a girl to work on a car is much more important than a boy in my opinion..

after seing all the damage girls can do cause they wonder what that little red oil light means :)

Mr/Brus.....I checked Milford today,no luck.Decent yards to call in SW CT are Kramers in Stratford and one in New Haven that I can't remember the name of.

Other options:Chuck 'n Eddies,George's Auto Parts on Knolton St. in Bpt.,A&J's on Honeyspot Rd. Extention in Stratford-exit 30,second set of lights take rt,on left.Most of these places the intelligence level is at an extreme low and the attitude level can be high.Pull up on a Harley wearing some clothes from the Goodwill and you'll do better.

Guest Vickaroo

brus brother.....:o You know what they say when you assume something, and that just happened to me...{gulp} << me eating my words... That is AWESOME you are helping this young lady with her car. I hope you are teaching her the other things too... i.e how to check her oil, change a flat, ect, ect.... I had older brothers and a dad, so no one ever taught me how to do this.. I have just now learned how to check my own oil when Tim taught me.... And I still dont know how to change a flat..... I mean I could if I truley truley truley had to, but thats why Iv got ins, and towing on all my cars, and a cell phone... But to tell you the truth I really wish someone would have taught me how when I was younger.... Again Im sorry I assumed it was a boy.... I think I need to read the post better before I reply... Vicky