Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which engines will be direct bolt in for 90 Legacy

any EJ engine is a direct bolt in, problem is ecu stuff. an OBD I Ej22 will just drop right in, I think an OBD II EJ22 might want some of your older sensors, and the EJ18s I think will just drop right in and plug up to everything the same.

what's wrong with your engine that you would want to replace it? seals and leaks and stuff?

I want to get a new engine because it is running poorly and I am just tired of fixing it. As it is now it sputters bad, losses power and a ton of other issues. I m ust say it does not leak anything. I belive it needs the timing belt done properly and a good tune-up. I would rather spend the money on a good used engine and drop it in myself. It only takes a day or so.

I love the EJ22 and would like to stick with it. Can someone tell me what year they switched to OBD2. If and when I do this I want to just do a tune up on the engine while I have it out of the vehicle and then drop in the engine complete, wire and hose her up and drive on another 233K.

I also wish there was someone else I could trust to work on my car. I want to take it to the dealer because that is all they know...but I know it would cost me more than what I payed for the car to have it running smooth.

wait wait wait, you're going to buy a new engine, replace the stuff you need to replace on your current one on the new one and then swap it in? I don't see this being very advantageous, time or money wise. But they switched to obdii in 96

When I say "running poorly I mean pooooorly. I believe it mostly revolves around the timing belt not being put on correctly after I did the oil pump seal but I have had it off more times than I care to count to try to get the timing right and no matter what I do I can't seem to get it to run like it did before I took it off. It is a PITA!

If I buy a new engine I will put new NGK copper plugs and wires, new coil pack, change the oil to Redline and run a fram filter. (I always use fram) Then drop the engine in the car and drive on. I hope this makes sense.

I basically all comes down to bad timming and lack of patience.

Hmm, looks like they did switch on legacy's and impreza's in 95

At anyrate, if you're lining up the marks on the timing belt/or counting the teeth as close as you can with the sprockets and block/timing cover then the timing is right, so you dont need to worry abou that. Is it throwing a CEL? Have you tried changing what you are planning on changing on this one yet?

I hollowed the cat a while back and as of yesterday I am getting the CEL for a 32 (O2 Sensor) but it was running like crap before I hollowed the cat and before the CEL came on. I changed everything but the wires and pack when I bought the vehicle less than a year ago. Maybe it is the plugs making it run bad? Maybe it is the wires? the pack? the control modules? I don't know so when I get the new engine I will be replacing all these things so I can rules them out then. Besides, I will have alot more miles to go.

well I'm not sure how much a hallowed cat would affect your o2 sensor, I've never torn into the y-pipe to see how it's setup, which cat did you hallow, the first or the second? It could quite possibly be the plugs or wires, what brand of both did you use? plugs are hella cheap anyway and easy as hell to replace. Personally I'd try those before hand.

I am running Bosh +2 plugs with the red wires that were in the car when I got it. I change the oil every 3K (or sooner if needed) and I pamper this car. I know it needs the knock sensor replaced and now the o2 sensor. I hollowed out the front cat. It sounds awefull so I am looking for someone in my area that will do the work. Most won't touch it because it involves removing the cat.