Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok For All You Mechanics Out Here....????

Ok here is the answer you've all been waiting for......

Ok, as I said We did the compression check in the car, and got weird numbers....Good then bad in all four Holes......So I hand turned it several revolutions, and got good comp in each hole, but only for 1-2 revolutions......

We Know heads are in Great Shape, We have almost new lifters in it, We have new Head gaskets in it, We Figure that what is going on is ..........

Dead Cold, Lifters have had a chance to slack off a bit of oil.....Once the engine is Fired up, the lifters pump up.....Now lifters can only go so far cause they have a Limiter clip internally.......So Something in combination with the lifters are keeping valves from shutting 100%.....now bear in mind that they were closing almost 100% say like 97% cause we got no backfire or anything ever......But with Lifters up to capacity, not 100%

So at this point I turn the Motor over by hand to re-compress the lifters a bit and squeeze oil out of them......this is whan I was able to get good Comp out of each Hole.....This Told up it was definately in the Valve train.....ie. Lifter issue or Cam issue.....

Motor has To get pulled at this Point......

We Pulled the Motor and Pulled Passenger Side valve cover off to see if we can Visually see something not right going on....? Low and behold , Barely Noticeable to the eye, Exhaust Valves ONLY are camming up like they should, but are only slack for 2 teeth on the Cam sprocket ( they should stay slack for about 1/4 Revolution of the sprocket or 25-45 teeth ) then it is ever so slightly OPENING the valve back up.......?????

Intake valves Looked Good

So To verify that this is indeed the problem ( cam not ground quite to proper Specs) we Tore motor down enough to install a Stock Cam in that head.....

We stuck T-belt back on, and With motor and a spare tranny on the ground we Turned it over.....

WE NOW HAVE 135lbs in # 1 And WE NOW HAVE 145lbs In # 3 ....... :grin:

AND IT KEEPS IT........ :burnout:

So we Stuffed Stock cams in Both sides , Making sure we didn't put the Wrong cam on the wrong Side :rolleyes::rolleyes: HAhahahahaha....

And it has Great Compression all the way around Now.....Motor will get re-installed on Wed.......

We would have and Could have figured this Isue out several Weeks ago, But I had other People scheduled in already, So thank you Brad For being Patient With your

BABY JOHN DEERE....... :grin::grin::grin:

I owe ScoobyWagon a Buck, cause He hit it pretty well on the Head first , and Got close On the trouble shoot side of it as well.......

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wait... i said valve sticking.. technically.. the valve was being stuck open..

i just never said how it was gonna stay open.. just tat it would be open some how

where's my 25-50 cents?

wich makes me at least first to guess valve train related issues

hehe

Well as I stated in my First Post ....

I'd Give a Buck to the First person to Detirmine the problem AND Tell me How To Trouble Shoot/Fix it....??????

Scooby Explained this the best in his First Post on page 2-3 I think....?

Talk Soon, John

werks 4 me :)

btw what are you gonna do with half a penny over there?

more importantly how are you going to get it? driving down for half a penny.. well u are canadian :) hehe

and mailing half a penny.. defacing money is sposed to be a no no and the postage required to mail half a penny would negate teh half a penny value i think

and i don't think paypal handles anything less than a full penny ....hmmm

but whats important is styles has his wagon running again

i would forgo the green paint tho.. maybe put the john deere symbol on the spider intake plenum thing where it says subaru hmm.. turbo deere?

werks 4 me :)

btw what are you gonna do with half a penny over there?

more importantly how are you going to get it? driving down for half a penny.. well u are canadian :) hehe

and mailing half a penny.. defacing money is sposed to be a no no and the postage required to mail half a penny would negate teh half a penny value i think

and i don't think paypal handles anything less than a full penny ....hmmm

but whats important is styles has his wagon running again

i would forgo the green paint tho.. maybe put the john deere symbol on the spider intake plenum thing where it says subaru hmm.. turbo deere?

you forget Clayton that half a penny is a canadian penny :lol: