Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how "good" are the full time 4wd trannys.

I was at a "Pull your part" today and i found a beautiful, i believe 1988, gl10 wagon with a 5spd, fulltime 4wd tranny with a diff lock. the diff lock switch is a little knob that turns right and left if that helps any. now the car has 205,000 miles on it, the engine was filthy, covered in oil, which is basically... "normal."

now for my questions. should i be worried about the mileage? what tends to go on these? is it semi easy to refurbish.. new seals/bearings? how good are these trannys for speed and mild rally type conditions? do they hold up? what is the front/rear split. 90/10? 70/30? 50/50?

my plans are to put a ej22 engine into my hatch. would it be better to through a legacy tranny in there or are the older gen ones prefered. also i dont really care about a D/R, im not looking for a rock crawler?

your, yes your input would be super appriciated,

Tyler J.

If you don't need the dual range, go with a EJ tranny. They have a viscious coupling in the tranny instead of an open or locked diff. This gives the EA tranny a 50/50 split, or 100/0 if a wheel starts spinning. The EA FT4WD tranny is a 3.7:1 ratio in its front diff. If you're grabbing it, make sure to grab the rear diff too, its possibly a lsd. If you don't want either, grab them anyway and put them on the marketplace board, there are many eager buyers for those.

ok good, thanks a lot. yea apparently somebody knew what they were doing, the rear diff is gone. I,d be kind of scared to sell it as i dont know whats wrong with it, i dont wanna rip someone off. on the other hand, on the windshield, it sais "runs and drives. PS, it also has a good turbo in it, if anyone needs it.

are there any problems with installing the EJ tranny? i hear a lot about just keeping the dl trannys, but i assume thats because of the D/R. any problems other than the general oblonging mounting holes, or shortening the driveshaft. how about axles?

I have the exact tranny you found in the yard.. came out of the same car. single range FT4WD with difflock and LSD. it has 195,000 and performs flawlessly.

Added note: there is a 3.90 version of this tranny with matching 3.90 LSD.. it came in the XT6 as an option.

I was at a "Pull your part" today and i found a beautiful, i believe 1988, gl10 wagon with a 5spd, fulltime 4wd tranny with a diff lock.

Tyler J.

On a side note. Chances are that that wagon has a LSD in the rear. I'd check if I were you.

You can identify it a couple ways. Either wipe off the sticker on the back, it will say "3.7 LSD", or spin one of the rear tires. If the other spins the same way, you're good to go. If it spins the oposite way, forget it.

On a side note. Chances are that that wagon has a LSD in the rear. I'd check if I were you.

You can identify it a couple ways. Either wipe off the sticker on the back, it will say "3.7 LSD", or spin one of the rear tires. If the other spins the same way, you're good to go. If it spins the oposite way, forget it.

Zap is right, and if it was a 89, it definately would have a LSD since they were standard on all 89 GL-10 4WD manual tranny cars.

mudrat79 (Jon Bloom) makes adapter Kits that allow an EJ engine to mate to a EA tranny. They have everything you'll need. They are tried and true. He uses one and Austin uses one.

Yup, diff and axles gone. Well i know about this kit, so thats why im wondering whether it would be smarter to get a ej tranny and engine or an EJ22 and EA tranny. the EA trannys better for off road usually, but im looking for speed on dirt roads and such. Im pretty sure ill just get an EJ tranny, itll be slightly less hastle.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapar

So when testing it by spinning the wheel, if they spin the same direcction, its an lsd? good to know. Besides there is another good lookin wagon in the yard i wasnt able to check out so ill see what goodies its got in the near future.

PS. i could probably grab the tranny if anyones interested, i dont know how much they want though.

thanks again,

Tyler J.