Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil Leak Q and Trany Q

While cleaning up my engine crossmember and mounts today I found that there is a bit of up and down play in the stubs where the front axles connect to the tranny. I have a spare tranny and its movement is almost nilch compared the one in my brumby now. Is there bearings you can change out or would it be easier swaping in a 4spd or possibly a 5spd:brow:?

Also on the passenger side (your guys drivers side) there had been allot of oil dumped onto the x-member making an oil/dirt/twig mixture about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch thick. It was kindof wierd cause the other side was left relativly clean. Would most of this oil be coming from the oil pan gasket or something else? Yeh I dont think it is coming from the head gasket because the underside of the heads aint very oily.

1. there are bearing races in the axle shafts, not too different than wheel bearings but theay are not pressed in. remove the locktab bolt on the bottom of the circle part of the axle shafy. unscrew the circle part by catching the ribs with a punch and hammer. the bearing will pretty much fall out, it fits in there witha conical shape. you have to do this to replace the seal anyway.

2. probably a leaky cam cover(valve cover) or the grommets for the cover bolts

1. there are bearing races in the axle shafts, not too different than wheel bearings but theay are not pressed in. remove the locktab bolt on the bottom of the circle part of the axle shafy. unscrew the circle part by catching the ribs with a punch and hammer. the bearing will pretty much fall out, it fits in there witha conical shape. you have to do this to replace the seal anyway.

2. probably a leaky cam cover(valve cover) or the grommets for the cover bolts

"...unscrew the circle part by catching the ribs with a punch and hammer"....

I haven't found any info on how much tighten them back. Seems like over tightening may reduce bearing life. Any info is appreciated.

Thankyou,

Keith

Holy ish i posted this a while back as well. i need to replace my bearings as well but i couldnt get them out. i got the lock nut, the big threaded seal holder out, and some other thing as well. but no bearing falling out.does this method work on a S/R 4WD ea71 tranny? Thanks,

"...unscrew the circle part by catching the ribs with a punch and hammer"....

I haven't found any info on how much tighten them back. Seems like over tightening may reduce bearing life. Any info is appreciated.

Thankyou,

Keith

Any help on this is appreciated,

Once again, thankyou for your time and your help

Keith