Ultimate Subaru Message Board

horn dilema

Both wires at the horn on BOTH horns are hot...The only ground i have at the moment is when the horn is bolted to the car. Usually causes not stop noise untill I remove the horn again. I was in the process of putting new horns in when this happened, and I did use a test light to make sure one was a ground. i can say that the darn things are much louder than the stock ones. I have not checked the fuse box though I can't see how a fuse would cause this.

Horn trouble is not uncommon with old Subies, both my ‘87s have issues, seems to be a corrosion problem. I had you exact problem on my wagon, for me, one of the horns had corroded enough to ground out and make the other one go off. I just disconnected the bad one. Do you have a multimeter? Are the “new” horns for a Subaru or something else?

Like the others said, power comes from the fuse to each horn and the ground comes from the horn button. Both parallel circuits. So with both horns unhooked one wire at each horn should be hot and one open (goes ground when you push the horn). On the horns you should be able to measure a resistance across the terminals (4 ohms or so), but nether terminal should be grounded to the case.

Hope that helps

Gary

Blazer highway blaster horns (AutoZone)..just a touch beefier than stock. I didn't check the resistance b4 installation so I will have to pull one or both to check when I get a chance. In order for me to keep them from grounding when mounted I used a bit of wood slightly longer than the mounting bracket. so it cannot ground unless the button is pushed. hence the problem.

Mike