Ultimate Subaru Message Board

If anyone looks...you will want...so...ya know, LOOK!

dam that looks sweet.

I knew I should not have looked.

ok I am sure you have already answered this but I have been tring to avoid the temptation of getting one done and havent looked at that thread.

first can it be installed in the car like a stock one can?

second can the put a TD04 flange on it?

and I am soooo mad at you for making me look;)

Caboobaroo: Me thinks that is a stock turbo.

rallyruss: It BETTER be able to be installed with the engine still attached to everthing...and the flange that TWE is putting on the header is compatible with both the old IHI (the stock VF7) and new IHI (TD04, VF34 and so on) Turbos.

Myxalplyx: Man, that aint no stock header! LOL Its the TWE header as JWX has pointed out.

northguy: With the header AND downpipe along with a 2.5 inch DP back exhaust and one 3 way cat...I and hoping for 30 or more HP/TQ gain over stock....sicne I am about 30 over stock right now, i expect it to add 30 more on top of what ive got already, putting me at about 180 or so. Once I get the boost controller in, the header and TBE done, and the spyder intake and large TB mod done...Ill be headed to a dyno...oh, and Delta cams.

Very very nice, but I have one question,

I am taking termodynamics right now and we have just reached the point where we can analyze turbines. after some canceling of terms from the the equation of:

energy in = energy out we get

Mi*hi=Wo+Mo*ho

in Metic units

Mi = mass flow rate in (kg/s)

hi = Enthalpy of input medium ie. how much energy the input medium carries (J/kg)

Mo = mass flow rate out (kg/s)

Wo = Work output (goes to the compressor side) (J/s)

ho = Enthalpy of output mediium (J/kg)

since Mo = Mi we are left with

Wo=M(hi-ho)

This shows that h (enthalpy) and M (mass flow rate) control Wo (work output)

I have noticed that the stock headers are insilated (double walled), this was done to keep the exhaste gasses as hot as possible when they hit the turbo Giving you the highest hi possible. Seems to me that you would want to insilate those headers if you want to make them truly bad*****

Don't get me wrong improving the flow out of the engine will of course boost performance but insilating will also get you even more, don't ask me how much, that would take a real Mechanical engineer to work out.

Sorry for the math class, it is just really cool to understand why something was done a certain way.

Awsome job!

Myxalplyx: Man, that aint no stock header! LOL Its the TWE header as JWX has pointed out.

Will, I knew that! I was just joking around. *Boink* :-p

northguy: With the header AND downpipe along with a 2.5 inch DP back exhaust and one 3 way cat...I and hoping for 30 or more HP/TQ gain over stock....sicne I am about 30 over stock right now, i expect it to add 30 more on top of what ive got already, putting me at about 180 or so. Once I get the boost controller in, the header and TBE done, and the spyder intake and large TB mod done...Ill be headed to a dyno...oh, and Delta cams.

So...as a refresher:

You are now running at stock boost with an intercooler, Delta Cams, intake and what else? Just trying to get people to know how you got that first 30hp (cough).

*Now, I'm going to search to see what years of Scoobies had the Spyder intake*

:o

ok so I finaly broke down and looked at the header thread. I was resisting really hard for a long time. I got the details down now.

thats a really good deal on a cool product.

I am interested but I cant right now. I first need to complete my biodiesel turbo benz. and pay for a trip trip overseas next month.

but after that any thing could happen:brow:

I was going to just weld an adaptor to my stock up pipe but that seems so ghetto after seeing whats available.

Subi81: You are correct about all that. I am not worried at all about the heat flow....i think primarily that heat flow is for situations below WOT and such....like low speed 1/2 throt type stuff.....or so on. This header is designed for high performance, high RPM, high boost and MAX exh flow in mind....racing. Racing stuff cuts the corners around the daily driver stuff. I will gladly take those sacrifices for the performance gains.....as i drive it like a race car every day. lol

northguy: The dealer has invested over $5,500 for these items.

Myxalplyx: Ive got an intake, catless exhaust with 2.5 inch cat back, running stock boost for the moment...sometimes I run 15 psi, WRX TMIC with BOV plumbed in correctly, the piping for the IC is aimed to be very unrestictive, stock 86 spec cams for the moment, Skip lite flywheel, RX D/R trans, and ive done countless hours of tuning on the timing so i can ride it up to redline in every gear and not have detonation on the stock engine management. (yes i know....MS and DIS)...

This engine setup is definatly stronger than the 9.5:1 engine i had in it(no ic, smaller exhaust and not so good intake) and it dynoed at 140 HP at the crank. im estimating the same or better (probably 150 right now) with this setup on stock boost.

Now doing some math...when i was running 14 PSI...I outran a legacy GT with Borla headers, stock cats and a cat back...it SHOULD have around 170 hp....and 3000 lbs or so. The GL-10 is about 2750 in street trim...so that means it was packing about 155 hp at that time.