Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TWE Header, Downpipe and Fuel

Have any of you thought about what you are going to do about getting extra fuel to your engine? Especially those of you that plan on using a Legacy turbo. What are you going to do about fuel (the Non-MegaSquirt users).

That Megasquirt item makes my head dizzy. I'm an idiot!

None of us are going to need to do mod our fuel systems after putting on the exhausts. Our stock systems have enough wiggle room to compesate for the extra airflow by them selves.
Even with an upgraded turbo and more boost? I'm just talking about 13psi or so with an upgraded turbo. I know the stock system can handle 13psi of boost on the stock turbo but the extra flow is what I'm concerned about.

Thanks for the reply though. At least I know that at stock boost with a stock turbo, there are no worries.

Well, EA82 fuel injectors are the same as EA81T, which is what I'm concerned about. So what I would do is go around in the junkyard and take a bunch of fuel injectors and test them on an EA82. I know that someone is working on fuel rails to fit non sube injectors on our engines.

extra fuel won't be a problem cause in 87+ cars (hotwire style) you'll be bouncing of the fuel cut.

Side note, I use/used and SAFC with decent results. Yet again, i'll reinterate the fuel cut will be hit. Whether the fuel is there or not if the ECU doesn't like it, you aren't playing.

extra fuel won't be a problem cause in 87+ cars (hotwire style) you'll be bouncing of the fuel cut.

Side note, I use/used and SAFC with decent results. Yet again, i'll reinterate the fuel cut will be hit. Whether the fuel is there or not if the ECU doesn't like it, you aren't playing.

Hello SubaruTex,

I'm assuming you still have the SAFC. Remember this post--->

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6093&page=2&pp=10&highlight=SAFC

On page two, I had asked you about the Sensor number and Sensor Calc settings because I never could get it to work on my XT6. Did you ever figure out what those numbers where? If so, perhaps some of us could utilize it on our cars. Thanks!

BTW: You did post up this link: http://www.teamfc3s.org/info/articles/fcd/diy_fcd.htm

So we do have other options. I am curious though as to what the setting are. I have a Hyper SFC in the garage but I've always loved the use of the Apexi units. The new ones have some really nice features.

ok - we have hose feed injectors, anything thats not hose feed wont work..

ps, does anyone even know the flow rate of oem injectors?

i know 300zx turbo injectors are 370cc

as for "testing" them on your car, dont waste your time, without an afc to shorten the pulse duration your going to run super rich....

Im looking for injector flow rates and cant find any information on our little subes, and i wouldnt doubt the ea81t's being the same, its a 1.8l motor just like ours, and id imagine the ecu programming to be similar

Im looking for injector flow rates and cant find any information on our little subes, and i wouldnt doubt the ea81t's being the same, its a 1.8l motor just like ours, and id imagine the ecu programming to be similar

I'm willing to bet (I'd probably lose) that the stock 1.8ltr fuel injector's flow is 185cc. I pick this number because that's what my XT6 fuel injectors flow (from testing at RC Engineering). Since the XT6 is basically an EA82 engine with 2 additional cylinders, there would be no reason to change the type fuel injector for use.

Kevin... What version of the SAFC do you have?

I have the first generation of the blue screen/silver body. Looks identical to the modern AVCR's.

My settings were as follows:

Sensor Type: MAF

Car Select: 4 Cyl. Throttle - down arrow.

These are the only settings I changed to get it to work on my car. If you need any other settings, let me know where to look and I'll get them.

The FCD in that link I abandoned because it requires a 5 volt referance. Which I couldn't find on our cars. I have since picked up an HKS FCD type STD. I haven't installed it, i'm going to put it after the SAFC, but before the stock ECU on the MAF signal line.

Edit: Kevin, how much did the RC engineering testing cost? I wonder if they could coax a bit more out of our injectors...

hmm the injectors are 185 cc... that is nice to know me and shadow guessed at around 180 cc for my ms setup.. thanks :) eh its only a small bit of change..

He probably had his injectors cleaned and prettified.. so 180 may be a little closer you your flow rate an old injectors.

Is there any way to bypass the fuel cut? How is it triggered? There's got to be a way to do this without going to complete stand-alone management.

on the pre maf cars....you can unplug the overboost switch/sensor. MUHHUHAHAHAH!!!!! :banana:

Edit: Kevin, how much did the RC engineering testing cost? I wonder if they could coax a bit more out of our injectors...

Off the top of my head, it cost me between $25-27 per injector (6 injectors on XT6 = around $160 plus shipping). You basically end up with a practically new injector with new o-rings to boot. And you will get a chart showing the before and after cleaning. I think it's worth it, especially if you plan on modifying your car in such a way that it demands more fuel. It's less strain on the injectors since they will be flowing more and not working so hard.

mini-xt6fuel4.jpg

I don't know why I haven't mentioned this earlier but I can't assume that the turbo injectors are 185cc. I had a set of Subaru 1.8ltr turbo injectors that I purchased from Ebay a while back for turbocharging an XT6. I remember holding them up to a set of XT6 injectors and finding out it wouldn't fit.

Here are XT6 injectors after being cleaned at RC Engineering:

mini-fuel_injectors3.jpg

Here is a set of Subaru 1.8ltr turbo injectors. I just took a picture of them only 5 minutes ago. I don't know what year or model Subaru they came off of, just that they are supposed to be 1.8ltr turbo injectors.

mini-turboinject.jpg

Kevin... What version of the SAFC do you have?

I have the first generation of the blue screen/silver body. Looks identical to the modern AVCR's

SubaruTex,

I no longer have an Apexi SAFC. It was stolen out of my OBS Impreza in a shop (supposedly broken into :banghead: ). I would consider getting another though. I remember being unsuccessful getting it configured in an XT6. The Sensor Calc and the Sensor Numb settings where the big issue. Apexi USA nor Apexi Japan could help. I had a guy in a shop (Hiro at Dynamic Motorsports) talk to the guys in Japan in Japanese. They simply said I had to have the XT6 there so they could look at it but could not tell me how to determine what exactly the Sensor Calc and Sensor Numb meant. If I understood those, it would be much easier to install on cars that are not on their list of cars it can be installed on.

Once it was installed on the XT6, it ran dangerously lean. And it kept getting leaner the higher in the rpm band it was. I have dyno charts showing the car going from 13.5:1 upwards to 15.0:1 air/fuel ratio and EGTS were soaring past 1600F. I had to keep shutting down early to prevent major engine damage. Damn settings! :banghead:

XT6 injectors look to be of the modern press in rail type, rather than the hose feed type our antique engines are running.

I do believe this is the first time someone has openly compaired them and showed them to us. Thanks a bunch!

Now, it seems obvious to me that the injectors are not the same, thus we cannot derive any similarities to function from the XT6. I have an extra set or 2 of injectors. If I had the $$ I'd send them in. I'll see what I can do.

As soon as the current project is done, i'll install the HKS FCD and see if that will lift the fuel cut. I'd do it now, but the current project renders the car undrivable.

As much as I want megasquirt, if I can make it work with pieces I already have $$ into it may be worth it.