Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Need help deciding........

I have a shot at a 91 Legacy wagon for about $200. It runs and rdives but the automatic is getting weak. I'm thinking of doing the EJ 2.2 swap into my Hatch. I need pro's/Con's and things that need to be concidered before I pick it up. I'll be using the EA82 5spd, so an adaptor from Mudrat would be in order. How about things like wiring??? FI or is it carbable??? Anythying anyone else can add would be great. Thanks, Tim

... How about things like wiring??? FI or is it carbable???...

Isn't this oddcomp's cue? "MegaSquirt'n'Edis", I hear him chant!

Seriously, I was thinking an EJ22 and tranny, and I was thinking MSnEdis without a doubt. Not worth my time and money messing with wiring and worrying whether it is OBD1 or 2, etc. Stand alone, programmable.

"Please deposit two cents for the next 1 comment..."

Well, I looked at the MS Edis thread and I was lost in the first three or four posts.....LOL. What I really need is simple, and with that said I got the idea of not putting it in my hatch but in DRTYGRL. I have an $1100 CCR motor in my hatch to begin with and the old EA82(210k) in Vickys car is starting to get a bit of a knock, so it just seems to make more sense to do it that way. Keep the ideas comming, Tim

Don't start with me Micky.............. You know exactly how they are, Subbies can sense and opening in the drive way. They just won't stop comming!!!!:banghead:

Tim, you should get the ej22 kit and use it to put your spare 4 speed in the legacy :)

If you buy the wiring diagram instructions from Kennedy Engineered Products for ~20 bucks it tells you how to wire an ej22 to work in a Vanagon. Keep in mind that some of the wires would still need attending to but most of them would be easy to use. Then just a fuel pressure change and youre done.