Ultimate Subaru Message Board

*Un* SCORE!!! Hard to beat Free!

Last night my wife mentioned that there was a Subaru wagon in the "Recycler" category (free, take it away) of our local paper. She bugged me about it again this morning... alright, alright.

Called, not expecting much as it was like 24 hours after everybody else would have seen it. Still have it, was former tenant's, don't know much other than she was putting oil and water into it alot.

Go out to see it, and this is what was for free:

post-6017-136027596231_thumb.jpg

post-6017-136027596235_thumb.jpg

Interested in selling the trans and rear diff?

Gee, do you think the diff is SPECIAL???

Frankly, I am not sure. Yet. I tried to check but tall (wet) grass, my barrel-chested (ok, -bellied) body, and lack of a flashlight limited what I could see. And I've never SEEN an LSD. But the tag looks about right... w00t! :banana:

The tranny is an s/r :( 5MT, but does have diff-lock.

The engine is somewhat questionable, but I did get it started (after sitting 2-3 years) and found the cross-over/uppipe is broken (prob at T-flange). Also sounds like a knock, but it may be a combo of exhaust and HLAs. Fingers crossed.

Gotta wait :banghead: until tomorrow to fetch it, but at least now I have a chance of driving it the couple of miles home instead of renting a car trailer.

Looks like it has most of the GL10-type options except auto and air-suspension.

Plans???? I am still stunned. Looks like this will be my "The Car" (instead of my wife's manual twagon once I get her auto primo). Let's see... I have an SPFI block, should have enough turbo heads... hhhmmm... need spider manifold... intercooler... maybe a d/r ft4wd w/difflock??? (or will that have the 3.90 gearing?)

The one frustrating consequence is that I am now officially out of space to stack vehicles. And I have committed to getting one more auto t-wagon this weekend.

An embarrassment of riches for someone netting $40/week...

Hey oddcomp... I know you will be lurking soon. Instant Kharma has released you from any obligation to me. Even if you felt any debt you probably don't feel sorry for me now!!! :D Might still like a clutch-fork for a ea81 d/r 4mt...

gotta quit grinning...

hello my name is brian ,and i am a subaholic.:grin:
Well, I have 8 soobs at my house at the moment, this free puppy coming tomorrow, and another Sat or Sun... Let's see... 8... 9... 10!

So WHO's the subaholic NOW??? Huh!? And my wife has been encouraging me. What a MISTAKE!!! :lol:

Seriously, looks like I will have to find new homes for some of the lesser subies: An '82 wagon with parts car, an '85 gl-10 auto twagon, and an '88 Justy.

So what year is the car. If it has a lot of options, it might have an LSD since the original buyer seemed to like options. I think freak just wants a matched set, tranny and rear diff, that way he'll know for sure he has a match.

Sorry!!! Forgot to say it is an '88.

What I can see of the diff tag looks like your avatar, not like any of our current tags.

The car is going to take a lot pf cleaning, and I will need to pull the engine to deal with the broken crossover pipe. Just wish I could think of a definitive way to tell if that is a rod-knock before I do alot of maintenance work. Guess I just need to knuckle-down, R&R the engine for the pipe, and see what it sounds like, then decide whether the engine is sound enough for new belts and reseal. Only prob is the wet season is coming and no garage...

Happy!!! Happy!!!

You dont need to remove the engine to remove the x-over. Just remove the motor mount nuts and raise the engine up enough to get it out. Oh, and unbolt it from the turbo. Which is usually a PIA, especially the brace :-\

Thanks. Never had to do something as piddly as replace the crossover. Gotten to the point where anything can be solved by pulling the engine... almost quicker then thinking of an alternative.

The one frustrating consequence is that I am now officially out of space to stack vehicles. And I have committed to getting one more auto t-wagon this weekend.

If you need space, PM me. I'm just down the road from you and I've got plenty of space. Especially for T-wagons. :)

Man I am jelous.:-\

I paid 500$ for mine with a blown HG. and I do not have the LSD.

yeah I have pulled the up pipe out before in car. I did it like turbone described. welding it in the car is really hard. I tried that once. never again. the factory up pipe has too many heat shields and layers to weld in an awkward position. and its definately easyer to pull the up pipe than the turbo.

still mad at you for such a good find. :banghead::slobber:

and how does your wife let you keep all those cars. we have only 2 runners and 2 dead (projects) right now and she complains still.

but she love to borrow the wagon. it all about having a good sterio system. she loves that along with the turbo.

argh...

and I know how to dig holes and build fences too.

can I just come and help paint it? shure looks like fun.;) theres that stupid wink again.

I bet you can help paint it, but it'll cost ya... maybe a good shooter or a dead cat.

Hey Scoobywagon... which portion of podunk do live in. Lots of P.Nowhere 'round here! I actually have another 1/2 acre to store them on, but my wife thinks of it as "yard"! Go figure. lol

You dont need to remove the engine to remove the x-over. Just remove the motor mount nuts and raise the engine up enough to get it out. Oh, and unbolt it from the turbo. Which is usually a PIA, especially the brace :-\

Ive done this twice w/out ever messing with the engine...just jacked the car up...usually about 2 mins worth of twisting the pipe around and having the RF tire off the car and its in in less than 5 and you are bolting things up. :headbang:

Well, fate has dealt me a cruel blow...

During the night, someone else came and towed the car away and left a message with the landlady that she would come back for the paperwork! :eek: --> :( --> :mad: --> :banghead:

Landlady seems too mild to argue, so it looks like my treasure is someone else's problem. The only glimmer of hope is that the female who took it said that she was desperate for a running car. I suggested to the landlady that she tell the car-swiper that I can probably find her a more suitable car.

Not holding my breath.

Majorly BUMMED this morning.

Pat-hetic