Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fuel pump pulseing?

86 turbo wagon

So I am beggining to think that my fuel pump is fubared, if I hold the line after the engine compartment filter I feel a pulse from the fuel pump.

Also my engine just runs really rough all the time. if I shut it off, and immediatly start it again it will not idle for at least 3 or 4 min, then it idles just fine??

Is the pulsing normal, and does anyone know where I can get an inline fuel pressure gauge? It think some members have them.

The pulse is like a cycle but it is lopsided kinda like the reflector on a bicycle,

----.----.----. all that within 3 second? if that makes any sense. It just seems that the pump shouldn't pulse, it is a electromagnetic pin roller pump not an electromagnetic plunger pump. The plunger pump should pulse but the pin roller seems to me that it shouldn't.

ok maybe it is something else, I will have to get a gauge on it and see what the pressure is.

Any other electrical stuff acting funny? My fuel pump pulsed due to a bad alternator. There was a short inside the alternator that cuase it to go full field when turned on. Only thing holding it back was the voltage regulator so it was 'bouncing' or 'pulsing' off of the regulator.

Watch your guages; especially volts guage. See if they pulse in time with the fuel pump.