Ultimate Subaru Message Board

front axle problem

Hello,

I just replaced my drivers' side axle (reman) and within 1 mile it broke at the outside cv joint - took it back to thifty and the guy said he'd never heard of that happening (right)...anyway the next one "seems" to be okay, except I'm feeling a serious shake/shimmy while accelerating but not while coasting....I know the rotors need changing but don't think that could be it (doesn't happen when I'm braking either) If the wheel alignment was off it would still shake while coasting, wouldn't it?

any ideas?

Shaking, vibration, shimmy during acceleration and going away instantly when you let off on the gas is a tipoff to a bad inner joint on your axle (DOJ). I've seen this on so many axles (newly rebuilt from various manufacturers) that I've almost stopped buying new/rebuilt ones. I've had my best luck with used axles that I pull at the local pull a part yards; I've gotten pretty good at picking working axles. The only rebuilt axles I would ever buy are from http://www.cvaxles.com/ ; they have been consistently good and are just as inexpensive as the local "off" brands; $55 plus shipping plus core charge.

Hello,

I just replaced my drivers' side axle (reman) and within 1 mile it broke at the outside cv joint - took it back to thifty and the guy said he'd never heard of that happening (right)...anyway the next one "seems" to be okay, except I'm feeling a serious shake/shimmy while accelerating but not while coasting....I know the rotors need changing but don't think that could be it (doesn't happen when I'm braking either) If the wheel alignment was off it would still shake while coasting, wouldn't it?

any ideas?

Just a question..I had one of my axles replaced back in january with a used one...you mentioned the inner joint...would this shimmy,shake thing happen only at certain speeds???? Mine shakes pretty good between 40-45 and again at 70-75..I was thinking it was tire out of balance or just a bad tire since I need to replace my 2 rears (being done tomorrow). Just wondering if that axle could be bad again.

My experience has been that it happens through the speeds as long as you're on the gas and it goes away only when letting off on the gas. But inner joint problems are sort of like black magic. I had one axle that was so bad I thought my transmission was about to fall out!

Just a question..I had one of my axles replaced back in january with a used one...you mentioned the inner joint...would this shimmy,shake thing happen only at certain speeds???? Mine shakes pretty good between 40-45 and again at 70-75..I was thinking it was tire out of balance or just a bad tire since I need to replace my 2 rears (being done tomorrow). Just wondering if that axle could be bad again.

i had this happen last year on my XT6. don't recall how old it was, but it wasn't all that old. the outside drivers side joint just blew into pieces right after putting it in drive at like 10 miles an hour in the parking lot - metal and ball bearings all over the ground. luckily i have AWD so the rear wheels got me back to a parking spot.

if your car didn't vibrate and now it does after the axle broke - could it be that the axle damaged anything when it snapped? did it happen while you were driving fast? did it slop around? maybe something hit your rotor or tire? how long did you coast or drive after it broke? if it vibrated and slapped around enough maybe you knocked a wheel weight off or hit a rotor? i doubt this is the case though.

are the tires properly torqued and the axle nut tight?

if it's awd, u-joints can cause enormous vibrations, so bad you can't see out your rear view mirror.

good luck