Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First blown timing belt (Field repair story)

So going to San Jose Ca from Chico Ca got to around Sacromento. Driving along 70 mph all the sudden oil pressure light comes on and power goes, thinking oh *(&% major engine trouble. Push in the clutch and luckly there was an off ramp right there, coast it up the offramp and into a subdivision right next to a street light. Get out thinking the worst check the engine compartment didn't see anything right off, looked under the car to see if I lost a drain plug and notice a timming belt hanging through the hole in the skid plate.

Hey thats not right!!!

Took me 45 min to fix it luckily I carry both spare timing belts in my car. Man am I glad that I don't have covers on my timing belts.

I have to give a thanks to all the people that ask how to do timing belts, because that is what saved me, it had been a long time since I did one and I didn't have my manual, so it was all memory,

four easy steps:

1. center line on three line marks on flywheel

2. driver side cam up. install driver side

3. rotate engine clockwise back to centerline on three line marks

4. pass side cam up. install pass side.

Started right up and made the trip without a hitch, I think I will get some genuine subaru, and just do them right with the correct torque and such.

Thanks!!!!

Sorry so long

Belts are of undetermined age they were on the car when I got it. Total age = Previous age + 30K

Then have been naked ever since, so 30k naked. Being naked really made diagnosis a sinch, I will continue to streak my T belts because I think it had little to do with them breaking, but I guess there is really no way to know this for sure in my case.

Anyways just like to say thanks!!!

Cool field repair. Nice street light manuever.

For a semi-related post-hijacking sad story read on (no field repair here)

Cover kills belt? I was attempting to teach a friend how to drive stick and popped the clutch in my EA82 (why I don't exactly know)...lots of rattles and shakes later I had a broken belt and a broken oil pump pulley. When the covers were popped the mechanic found a washer inside one cover. Who knows if the washer somehow slipped in between the belt and cam.

Needless to say my friend does not drive a stick icon12.gif

Hijack#2. Seems like the consensus is replace belts at 30K? Mine go 60K+ 'cept when abused...I guess if I figgered out how to change them myself I'd do them early too.

yeh.. they were both OEM.. I dont run anything thats not from the dealer

86 GL Wagon - 4wd DR 5 speed Man. EA82, de-emissioned Hitachi carb MODS: Complete SPFI Air intake, Ultra White Foul Weather Lights, Accel Superstock Coil

i didn't know Subaru carried Accel Superstock Coils.

yeh.. they were both OEM.. I dont run anything thats not from the dealer

86 GL Wagon - 4wd DR 5 speed Man. EA82, de-emissioned Hitachi carb MODS: Complete SPFI Air intake, Ultra White Foul Weather Lights, Accel Superstock Coil

i didn't know Subaru carried Accel Superstock Coils.

n00b......

You've posted 40 some times aND you still dont know how to quote someones post..... 90% of the people here knew what I was talking about running OEM parts (meaning gaskets, belts etc), but with you, well lets just say, I'm sorry your mom smoked rocks when she was pregnant.

but with you, well lets just say, I'm sorry your mom smoked rocks when she was pregnant.
lol - I think the lack of sunlight up there in AK is making somebody a little touchy. :P:rolleyes:

As for me, its 3:30am..and this smartass needs to go back to sleep.:banana: