Ultimate Subaru Message Board

how do i make a turbo spool faster?

I assume you dont want to lose top end? then you will need ceramic ball bearings and I dont thing thats an option for a stock turbo.

the TWE headers I doubt will help spool up faster due to the increased diameter of the tubeing. thats going to help top end.

there are prgraming devices for completely tunable injection systems that create what they call "antilag" its a litle tricky to explain but it dumps extra fuel and air into the turbo causing it to spin up early or somthing along those lines. its used in rally.

a better flowing DP to exhaust and intake do help reduce lag a bit I have noticed.

an anti lag system will PULVERIZE the stock header....the way the fuel is dumped and the way the sparking is used...it bascially creates explosions of the hot fuel air mixture in the header and thus spooling the turbo even with the throttle only partially open or mostly closed..IE: at idle.

The TWE header might stand up to anti lag...but...i dont know. Anti lag systems are expensive and would require FULL engine management and DIS too.

The stock header and turbo is best for qucik spool as long as you open up the TBE and intake sides.

an anti lag system will PULVERIZE the stock header....the way the fuel is dumped and the way the sparking is used...it bascially creates explosions of the hot fuel air mixture in the header and thus spooling the turbo even with the throttle only partially open or mostly closed..IE: at idle.

The TWE header might stand up to anti lag...but...i dont know. Anti lag systems are expensive and would require FULL engine management and DIS too.

The stock header and turbo is best for qucik spool as long as you open up the TBE and intake sides.

hey I was just telling him that there are options to get it to spool up faster.

but you are absolutly right they would be rediculosly expensive and require many mods.

most people focus on getting more out of the top end. a turbo that already spools up at 2000 rpm is not that bad. I would guess that a more fitting turbo would not spool up untill 2300 rpm. like mabey a TD04. hey someone should try that.

oh wait I already did.:D

some day I wil have to swap in a ceramic ball bearing unit. that is truly the best of both worlds. quick spool up and good top end too.

in all seriousness the Down pipe with larger exhaust and a intake mods as simple as removing the muffler unit in the fender will help you get spooled up quicker.

I hear that the viscosity and type of oil makes a difference too.