Ultimate Subaru Message Board

trany combo question dr5speed mixed with center lock

ok so here is a question.

probably no one know the aswere but opions would be grate

can you take the center diff out of a 5speed s/r w/difflock and put it in a dr 5speed 3.9 i think it would be cool to make a

3.9 dr 5speed that could be

2wd fronts only

awd all four but not locked center

or

4wd. all four with center locked.

the big thing over the rx trans would be the ablity to run in 2wd and also to have 3.9 gearing..

ive looked at the housings and of course the dr has the shift shaft running throught the back housing as the push button and diff lock tranys dont but this could be machined out as to allow for this, anyways what do you think,

im going to try as soon as i can find a 5 speed single range trany. or if somone has the back half of the trans(center diff housing) that i could buy from them. anyway thanks

brian

I don't think it'll be possible to do what you want, but I know of something close :D

If you used an XT6 tranny, you could accomplish everything you want except the dual-range. It has a 3.9 front diff and locking center diff. If you locked the center diff and removed one of the rear axles, you'd have FWD!

i wonder if the pinion gears are the same as in could they just be swaped? if so that would be the way to go but the dr part of the rx trany is kind of a joke(kinda better then nothing but not as good as 86 dr, i think that that would probably be the easyest way though jerry, i may have to give that a try if i cant get this to work. i should be getting a 87 1/2 xt that im going to pull the parts off of. so that should at least give me a starting point.