Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help -- mechanic gets no DTC codes on tranny problem

My 96 Legacy wagon started flashing the "AT oil temp" light on engine start up. Have now taken to TWO trusted local mechanics and both say they are unable to get their scanners to show diagnostic codes on the trannie. They spent a total of about 5 hours trying to get the codes out and nada. Please help -- my last resort is the dealer but it has given terrible advice and terrible service in the past

My 96 Legacy wagon started flashing the "AT oil temp" light on engine start up. Have now taken to TWO trusted local mechanics and both say they are unable to get their scanners to show diagnostic codes on the trannie. They spent a total of about 5 hours trying to get the codes out and nada. Please help -- my last resort is the dealer but it has given terrible advice and terrible service in the past

Please search the forum, there is a procedure to get the code by counting the light flashes. The issue surfaced several times in the last several weeks.

Thanks, I did read the earlier posts. But I think this is a bigger issue -- the transmission computer is not ABLE to send codes, which is why the mechanics aren't able to retrieve them. So whatever the "flashes" might say, something else is possibly wrong with the electronics. Any suggestions??

I'm not sure exactly...both told me they weren't getting any codes from the transmiss. computer, and they had about 8 pages of a "problem tree" to go through to figure out what was wrong. Since the car by then had been in repair shops for two whole days w/o a diagnosis and w/o anyone being able to retrieve DTCs, I'm not sure they really know what to do, and it may be their scanners simply won't pick up something that the dealer's scanner would.