Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81T not making full boost

The problem is that I'm not making full boost in my wagon. I'm about 90% sure that it is supposed to be 7psi, but the highest I can get is 6psi. What can I do to get it to the factory setting? I don't think anything can be done, but I thought I'd check here to be sure.

P.S. There was a pinhole leak in the turbo coolant line. Local parts stores didn't carry it and the hose was part of the kit used to convert the EA81Ts to a watercooled turbo and they had discontunued it. Cut the bad section out of the hose and spliced in a good section. This means the wagon is FULLY 100% done after the tranny swap and the engine rebuild! A weight has been lifted from my shoulders! Lots of little cosmetic things left to do, but other than that, she's perfect!

did you check for an exhaust leak around the header pipe gaskets, or on the pipe itself? otherwise your wastegate spring might be wearing out. i think the spring is going to crap on my buggy, but a boost controller took care of that.

There are no exhaust leaks. Any other thoughts from current/former EA81T owners?
Not an EA81T owner...

How many miles does the engine/turbo have on the clock? Could they just be tired? When (RPM and throttle opening) are you first getting to 6psi?

Otherwise, my bets go on the wastegate... not an accurate device to begin with, normal variations and/or wear and tear on the spring, etc., could do this. Or too much post-turbo restriction (plugged cats or crushed exhaust pipe).

One of two things that I can think of:

1. Your EA81T just isn't as cool as the rest of ours.

2. Something is awry with your turbo unit. Can't you swap EA82Turbos in? Maybe trying a j/y turbo would help. Or just go for a boost controller - $15 or so.

I don't have an aftermarket turbo guage so I don't know what mine is as, but it looks good on the subaru guage. Goodluck.

i say your wastegate is at fault. you can ad a bleeder to get the boost where you want it. just t off of the wastegate line, put an adjustable valve on the t, and then bleed off a little boost at a time till you get it to where you want it.

what kind of guage are you using? also the amount of boost you get id dependant on atmosphere. im pretty sure anyway.

A instructor of my electrical and electronics class in automotive at my former community college said and I quote "Never trust a gauge 100%. The reason for gauges is to give you an estimate on which you can base a problem on. It can either be a problem with the gauge or with other parts involved. Gauges tend to wear out by age. Even if they seem to be working fine, don't trust them fully!!!"

So you get the point. It might be creating full boost but your gauge (stock or aftermarket) can be off or something can cause it to be off such as a bad connection on the hose, etc. etc. etc.

A instructor of my electrical and electronics class in automotive at my former community college said and I quote "Never trust a gauge 100%. The reason for gauges is to give you an estimate on which you can base a problem on. It can either be a problem with the gauge or with other parts involved. Gauges tend to wear out by age. Even if they seem to be working fine, don't trust them fully!!!"

So you get the point. It might be creating full boost but your gauge (stock or aftermarket) can be off or something can cause it to be off such as a bad connection on the hose, etc. etc. etc.

Can I get an "Amen!"

Plus just plain calibration might be off. The guage could easily be reading 6 even if the real value is 7... or 5. 15% diff between numbers in that range, small distance on gauge.

2k? then your doin fine, i have seen guages off, even good ones. get a hemostat, from a blood pressure kit. those are almost always spot on =]
Do you mean a sphygmomanometer? A hemostat is usually a small forcep-like clamp...

None of my turbos go positive pressure until about 2k. :-\