Ultimate Subaru Message Board

heater controll question

on my 86 hatch, the heater controll vac hose, comes out of the firewall, under the spare tire. it goes direclty to the manifold, and works good. on my ea82 85 wagon, i have the hose routed to the same spot on the manifold. it seems to make the heater switch from the normal ac mode, to the floor heat, to the defrost :drunk:

all on its own when im driving, do i have to USE that round vac ball that i threw away, or do i need to hook it up different on my ea82 than my ea81 car?

I was having a similar problem on my 86 t wagon, I know I know turbo is a whole nother ball of wax, Anyways it turned out to be my pushbuttons control was leaking pressure and everytime I had positive or zero manifold pressure the air would transition from heater (foot) vents to AC (dash) vents.

I would say that you have a small vac leak either in the line or in the pushbuttons. Not sure how to test the pushbuttons I just got one from the JY and hoped for the best. Sorry if this doesn't help