Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front mount possibility

WJM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7932419808&category=33742

Warning...many pics to load in that auction....so here are some cliff notes:

Core size: 30 X 6 X 2

Tanks: 2.125 wide X 7 high X 3.25 deep

Piping: 2.5 OD X .0625 wall X 2.25 long

There are eight cooling rows and eight fin rows on this intercooler.

The cooling rows on this intercooler are internally finned.

We would mount this to the bottom of the front bumper.

Ok, lets have opinions, critics, ideas and flames!

skr53103a.jpg

skr53103d.jpg

Ok I'm super glad you brought this up, I have been looking at different front mount IC's for awhile now (since I'm still against the idea of cutting a hole in my RX's hood, even for a cool scoop). My questions were:

Under the bumper in front of the air dam(front ground efx) how long does it actually survive gravel/rocks/mud/etc?

can it be put behind the air dam in the front and still have enough airflow(mounted behind the small holes in the air dam)?

Last but not least I'm certain the piping would be a total pain in you know what but with that much length in the intake system how does it effect the turbo spool/lag time? Sorry for slight hi-jack there WJM, but thought it fell in the same conversation and have been looking and virtually those same IC's.

Thats not a Hi jack. This is a brain storm post.

Rocks mud and etc can be mostly taken care of by a fine mesh screen with some brackets to protect the bottom end. Ive personally never had issues with flying debris up there unless following someone or in really off roadish stuff that a severly different kind of turbo setup would be needed.

Mounting it behind the air dam is no good. there is zero space for such a thing.

I didnt want to cut up a hood either...but i had an extra one and used it.

Piping...is an excellent point. I do realize there is not much space to route items, but when engine compartments become "performatized"...certin items become deleted/resized/relocated in the engine compartment, allowing piping to be routed easier.

Lag: It would slightly increase spool time and decrease throttle response....but you would gain...

No heat soaking

Better intake air charge cooling efficency, aka cooler denser air charge=more hp cabability

some bling bling

and it would be just plain better and cooler to have a FMIC over a TMIC in out cars due to the space limitations and other reasons.

Had to run outside real quick to check how much room there was, and your right there is hardly any room behind the dam. Too bad is always nice to keep that IC a secret. Not to mention the fact they use gravel on roads here and it beats the living heck outta the whole front of your car. That would make me a tad leary of a FMIC, but would just have to make sure it had a good fine protection screen over it. So has anyone done a front mount on an EA82T yet?

hmmm cut off air dam and get yourselff a load of fiberglass and build a new custom front setup

or.. anyone thot of running 2 eclipse intercoolers right behind teh front grill in a ganged arrangement

if you have the time and toys you could get some do it your self custom type cores and end tanks and someone i am sure.. <i have neither the time nor money just the idea on how it should go > to make a custom fitted gen 3 fmic

Well now I'm thinking what if just ditch the A/C Condenser all together? since I need to make room for my oil cooler also. That frees up quite a bit of room in front there, might be able to squeeze both an IC and an oil cooler up front. Granted they would both have to be fairly small, but my oil cooler setup is pretty small anyways 12x7x3/4. Plus I got smoked by Mitsu EVO today and was willing to blow up my motor to keep up with him (since I have that new one in the garage). Motor held together :-\ , but still got stomped.

I ultimately have to say wow, ok so I'm no math genius. Nor have I taken anything like that into consideration at all. Incredible information and well put, but missing a few things..your ideas on what to use and where to mount it at. I'm super curious to everyone's ideas before I go start chopping into anything on my RX.

Ok after staring at my engine compartment with my brother for awhile I think we came up with a pretty good idea, so let's hear your ideas on it:

Remove the Electric and Manual Fans

Remove the AC Condenser

Put a nice large IC inbetween the Radiator and the engine, where the fans were

Put 2 electric high cfm fans where the condenser was, blowing air through the radiator and IC.

The Piping shouldn't be too hard with the A/C pump gone and the location of the IC.

Only thing I can't be certain of is getting enough cool air through the radiator to the IC. What do you guys think? Not going for super performance here, just nice cheap hidden IC for alittle HP and engine life.

im thinking that you can pull off the fans. instead of trying to put the fmic behind the radiator, i think youd get too much heat from the radiator. you could possible move the radiator back a little bit, about an inch. then mount the ic in front of the radiator. then if there is enough room between the engine and radiator, install some thin electric fans. if not, then mount two fans in front of the whole thing.

then to hide it all, one could possibly retrofit a newer style bumper cover onto the car. im feeling something like the 2000 2.5rs fron bumper.:brow:

Ok after staring at my engine compartment with my brother for awhile I think we came up with a pretty good idea, so let's hear your ideas on it:

Remove the Electric and Manual Fans

Remove the AC Condenser

Put a nice large IC inbetween the Radiator and the engine, where the fans were

Put 2 electric high cfm fans where the condenser was, blowing air through the radiator and IC.

The Piping shouldn't be too hard with the A/C pump gone and the location of the IC.

Only thing I can't be certain of is getting enough cool air through the radiator to the IC. What do you guys think? Not going for super performance here, just nice cheap hidden IC for alittle HP and engine life.