Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Unsteady Idle on a 1988 GL Wagon

fsub

Hi,

Complete subaru noob here. Just bought a 1988 GL Wagon with the NA 1.8 liter engine. It has about 136,000 miles. It burns a little oil and I noticed it was on the low end of the dipstick. I addes about 3/4 of a quart and when I started the car again it had a rough idle that bounced from about 900-1200.

It didn't do this before - could I have overfilled the oil? The car was running perfectly before I added the oil and idled roughly instantly after.

Also, the syncros seem to be worn from 2nd to 3rd - is there anything I can to ease the damage to the transmission. I though I had heard of some additive.

thanks for the help, I'll be around here more from now on. hopefully sharing advice as I learn about these cars.

Make sure your oil filler cap in on tight, my car barley runs if I have it off. Not sure what causes this? Anyone out there know.

Yeah that's fooled me before but it s on tight now. I think having the cap off might mess up oil pressure. Just a guess though.

Yeah that's fooled me before but it s on tight now. I think having the cap off might mess up oil pressure. Just a guess though.
Having the cap off effectively causes a vacuum leak. Air goes in the filler and gets sucked out of the PCV and into the intake. The PCV is supposed to handle blowby, not an unsealed crankcase. :)

Having the cap off effectively causes a vacuum leak. Air goes in the filler and gets sucked out of the PCV and into the intake. The PCV is supposed to handle blowby, not an unsealed crankcase. :)

Any idea what might be causing this now intermittant fluctuating idle? Just started her again and its idling better but not perfect. Bad MAF?

Also what the name of that stuff to help the snycros? Does it work?

Thanks

Any idea what might be causing this now intermittant fluctuating idle? Just started her again and its idling better but not perfect. Bad MAF?

Also what the name of that stuff to help the snycros? Does it work?

Thanks

Not sure about the idle; could be several things. What type of intake do you have: Carb, SPFI, MPFI/turbo? General thoughts involve vacuum leaks or sensor problems.

If you REALLY think that this occurred after adding oil, drain off a bit. You can drop a quart or so and not be at risk if it is sitting still and level. Can't see how this could be a problem unless your dipstick isn't reading/being read properly.

Regarding tranny synchros, I have no personal experience, but most people that have talked about this swear by Redline oil. Try a search on Redline, maybe with transmission (and variations of) and/or synchros.

I don't think its related to the oil anymore. The oil level seems to be fine. Not even sure what type of engine I have - it's an 88 GL wagon so I think it s a multi point FI. Not sure though.

The product I was told about is called Rislone Ring Seal. Would I add this to the transmission fluid?

Not sure about the idle; could be several things. What type of intake do you have: Carb, SPFI, MPFI/turbo? General thoughts involve vacuum leaks or sensor problems.

If you REALLY think that this occurred after adding oil, drain off a bit. You can drop a quart or so and not be at risk if it is sitting still and level. Can't see how this could be a problem unless your dipstick isn't reading/being read properly.

Regarding tranny synchros, I have no personal experience, but most people that have talked about this swear by Redline oil. Try a search on Redline, maybe with transmission (and variations of) and/or synchros.

just about the same thing happaned to my dl spfi d/r wagon , i am not trying to give a smart answer , but my problem was the spare tire ,which fits on top was pushed against the throttle cable causing hi-low idle , , if it is a carb ,try some seafoam right into the carb ,