Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The last hope....

WJM

...is the RX.

No intercooling...no fancy oil cooler setup...no boosting or strange intake setups....nothing...just a cat-gutted exhaust of stock diameter...with a cone filter on the intake (maybe not even that)....that is what the last hope rides on....an 80% stock EA82T running on Castrol 10w30 and an OE filter.

Suspension...the Wagon's...minus the steering rack bushings, rear coil overs (more on that later) and the solid bushings....

The wagon...is at rest now. The Glory ride....able to carry whatever I see fit, to go almost anywhere, to lay smack down to the ricer who thought he had a fast ride....the object that turned the heads of everyone at autox'es and subaru gatherings...the fast little, old, and weird boxy subie wagon that it was...is no more. Its speed, agility, cargo capcity, the suprise that it was...will not be forgotten. Its impact...massive. "Man, thats fast! How'd you do that?" Legendary speed and agility it had....just barely breaking out with its new suspension and high flow engine goodies...is now broken...covered with oil and the wrong attitude..."ive had enough!" it said...and it said so with actions. Two engines in short order...and a very bandly shattered rear suspension. The Left rear coil over...went out in a blaze of sheered off glory and tire smoke. An hour later...that second engine...and no more...just a full shell of plush GL-10 interior...with no suspension and brakes to support it.

The Grassroots RX....1987, first year of the RX/RX Coupe. Many hours of prep by myself and Pleiades went into this car to restore it to 100% showroom stock for the Grassroots challenge back in April. Now in my possesion, original plans for a soft daily ride and reliable daily transportation....

But now, its new mission...to carry the Last Hope of the EA82T....the final reliability test. Luke Skywalker to the Jedi Knights if you will.

The RX's mission...10 grueling autox's...including the 24hrs in sept next year...along with daily driving, it MUST survive. No failures that require the long block to come apart. It will remain stock...except for a recirc valve, intake (pre MAF) and the exhaust as mentioned before. It already has the wagon's sucessful suspension...but the rear is RX dampers with a different set of springs as opposed to the coil overs...

The RX...the final hope.

If it fails....EJ land, that is where I will have to step....

To everyone else who marvels in the possible power of the EA82T...best of luck! May the SUBARU Force be will you all....and I hope it is strong within this RX....

:clap: very well said Will. You have taken very large steps in modding an EA82T and some of those mods have worked quite well and as for others...well maybe thats why the wagon is now a pile of scrap metal awaiting its journey to the land of Subarus. I plan on doing a lot of the mods to my RX that you've done to the wagon in hopes of chasin down those darn STis that the rich kid's parents bought for them on their 16th birthday. To show them, "HA! I drive an '80s Subaru and it kept with your new STi!!!" Hopes and dreams which will come in the future....to all that is holy to these EA82Ts.... There WILL be a day!!! Good luck on the journey Will and BTW..... "I am your father!":D

Oh and PM me, we'll talk;)

ahh so time for resurrection after the outcome of the RX's performance....hmm nice. I will hopefully be building a beautiful EA82T for the RX but it will also include the Megasquirt and EDIS. Maybe if I feel adventerous, I'll include another thing on the driver side that will spool with the one it already has. Just thoughts, just thoughts......

Sorry to read this Will.

I wish you well in the next endeavor

For a small respite of encouragement I will say.

One other wagon is still blowing 12+ psi on a daily basis.

Corners very well and consumes no precious body fluids

except petro (app 25 MPG)

Is used for a 2.5 hour total commute through some

semi serious PA hills and dales.

Going on two years now.

Sorry to report no clutch slippage.

All temps stay at very comfortable levels.

I am probably tempting fate with this post but--

My "Willy the Wunder Wagon" is whom I'm speaking.

"I wunder why she's still runnin' "

Good luck may the power of all the stars of the Pleiades be with you.

hey archemitis... the block was fudged before we put it in, and sence when is 12 PSI "high boost"? and it was 300, get it right.

Ditto....but it is 400...rally teams in canada built 400 hp EA82T's in the early 90s.

My main goal is a 280 hp one...daily driveable and reliable for 30k miles in that state of tune....with an effective powerband from 3k to 6500-7000.