Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is this pinging Video Inside

I did this little video earlier while coming home from work. It was 28F outside and the car seemed to be running ok. I started from a stop on the highway then accelerated until I would hit a top speed. However, that was not to be because the small firecrackers/muffled marbles came out to play.

Looking at my Jumptronix air/fuel ratio meter, it wasn't where I set it at earlier yesterday. I had it at a rich .94-.96 air/fuel ratio before going to work. It wasn't as cold (45F or so) but still it was rich enough. When I was doing the 'top speed run', it started off in the high .88. Since it's a cold air setup, it only gets worse (leaner) the faster I go. You can clearly see this as the air/fuel ratio voltage starting dipping into the lower .8 range.

As the car reaches 80mph or so, you can start to hear the party began and by 95mph, it's really jumping. I had to let off and I didn't want to destroy the car just yet. If it's not pinging, then please let me know what I'm hearing.

In the beginning of the video, if my words aren't clear, I said, "I'm just getting off of work" and "Gauges". I'll shut up for now. Gotta go to bed! *Yawn*

Please right click and 'Save as'. I'm posting this in another forum or two as well.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/thomasck/XT6-Pinging.MOV

BTW: My mods are listed below under the FWD XT6. I'm using 93 octane and my base timing is around 25 degrees.

it doesnt sound at all like pinging to me. pinging sounds more like a ball pin hammer hitting a anvil, or a little bell. the pattern does kinda sound like pining, but im confident its something else. otherwise you would probably notice it in at least third, if not second gear also. like you could put your foot into it when its lugging, and then youd get pinging for sure, if its gonna ping at all.

it almost seems like its a speed related thing,

it doesnt sound at all like pinging to me. pinging sounds more like a ball pin hammer hitting a anvil, or a little bell. the pattern does kinda sound like pining, but im confident its something else. otherwise you would probably notice it in at least third, if not second gear also. like you could put your foot into it when its lugging, and then youd get pinging for sure, if its gonna ping at all.

it almost seems like its a speed related thing,

For ONCE...we agree! :eek::drunk:

BUT...so be on the safe side...bump the dizzy back just a tad of a bump (retard it by like 2MM....yes, 2MM not 2 deg...lol)

The stock EA82T just dumps loads of fuel to cure detonation...so...back it off a little and see what it does...

as for the actual sound...ive never heard that sounds from an engine like that...and ive heard almost every engine sound possible from an EA82T... :-p