Ultimate Subaru Message Board

who's brave enough to tackle trouble codes?--SOLVED!!

OK

Bought a 91 4WD Loyale (automatic wagon 1.8 NON-turbo) about a year ago....drove it home(about 40 miles) and ran fine. Parked it about a year Started it now and then.

ready to put on the road so I did timing belts, cam shaft seals, plugs cap and rotor.

Started and ran fine...drove it and the check engine light came on---box under dash was blinking 3-2 (oxygen sensor?) and 3-5 (purge control solenoid?).

Next time I test drove it (a few days later...the check engine light starts BLINKING and the under dash box is giving me 7 fast blinks repetitively.

A week later I test drive it----and the light comes on---and now I have SIX codes blinking!!---32,33,42,45,51 and 61...what the heck is going on?If I start it and just let it idle for a while....engine light stays off but box is blinking 7 fast blkinks

Except for a little bit of rough idle during cold starting ,,,,car seems to run good (have not insured it nor driven it a lot--just test drives of 4-5 miles).

Also...have a rythmic sound which I am guessing is a bearing but how can you be sure ...and which wheel?...turn steering wheel slighly to right and its a little louder...turn slightly left and a bit quiter

thanks

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

well...the trouble code problem was simple and stupid...someone had the green connectors plugged together(one of the trouble code connectors--maybe the diagnostic one!)

thanks for all the help...especially skip!

still have what I think is frt wheel bearing noise...and of course you cannot really tell which side...I hate that job!