Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I give up

Thats right, I give up on my 87gl10 ea82t. I am taking her to the dealer to get fixed. She is using s whole tank of gas every 60 miles. I have tried changing the coolant sensor, maf, purge control, coil, wires, cap & rotor, new ngk plugs, injectors, and fuel pressure regulator. Nothing has helped and I am done spending money on this thing guessing. The fuel cut hits as soon as boost is achieved(2psi it starts) and it belches smoke like a diesel. Engine has 50k on it too.

I am going to fix it, and get a 2005 legacy gt. Look for it in the for sale ads in about a month or two. I will be selling it cheap(about a grand), and it is VERY clean, no rust. Engine is a new JDM import, new axles, bearings, rotors, brakes, intake, fiberglass gauge pod with faze boost gauge, eclipse head unit, clarion 5 band eq, punch amp, aura amp, and a 10" sub, polk tweeters, pioneer 7" rear door speakers, and infinity fronts. It has new tires on the factory white spoke wheels, and a nice luggage rack.

MDJDC can vouch for the cleanliness, he saw it.

yeah, Will's not NEARLY as expensive as the dealer would be. He probably knows more about "old" subarus than whoever works at the dealer anyway.

Agreed. Just pay for gas for me to get there and back...and maybe lunch...;)

But there are guys that are still at the dealers that remember working on the first subies in the country....but still...it will be a VERY expensive endevour at the dealer.

• 3 weeks later...

update:

sorry it took me so long to reply, I have moved to columbus ohio.

I pulled the codes and it said the temp sensor, crank sensor, egr, and maf.

I cleared them and drove it around then checked it again. this time it said the #1, 3 injectors, o2 sensor, and tps. It doesn't even know what the hell is wrong.

I unplugged the electric fan to raise the operating temp a ;ittle and it seemed to have helped a little, but not as good as it should be.

Thanks for the offers WJM, but unfortunatly I am out of state now.

If anyone can recomend a cool guy in the columbus area willing to help a poor unemployed vet, let me know.

Thanks.

Having read through all the things you've already replaced.....And knowing it is Using SOOoooo much fuel....How well does it drive....???? Meaning is it peppy as a turbo should be, or is it a Dog, and sluggish.....if its a slug.....Have you investigated the thought of a Very plugged Cat.....???.....this would throw all kinds of sporadic wierd codes, cause the o2 isn't able to do it's job properly, and is making other things behave odd as well cause it is giving misinformation to the computer.......

try this......

fire the thing up, get it to operating temp......with someone holding throttle at 2500-3000 rpm's go to your tailpipe and feel how much exhaust pressure your getting....also how HOT it is.....??? another thing to try ....obce its dark out , go run it a 4-5 miles after it is at operating Temp......Come back and immediately loook at Cat housing as well as pipe After cat.......looking for red hot glow ......

I've delt with this on carbed cars before , and One Turbo......cat material on the turbo car fell out and Plugged the exhaust down at bend going under the car body......At low Rpm's it wasn't too noticeable, but at hwy speed it was a dog, boost was Nill, because there was no exhaust flow, and Mileage was Horrid....

Gives you something to think over and look at......60 miles per tank...??? OUCH.....

Later, John

I haven't even thought of the cat being messed up and how bad the back pressure could throw things off. Hmmmm time to bust out the sawzaw.

The injectors are all new, as is the engine (apx 55k mi JDM replacement engine)

I will get ahold of the alleyboy and 86subaru. Maybe we can get this thing crunched out. I have a nice warm shop we can tool around in if need be.

Thanks.