Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A riddle for you all...RX vs GL-10

WJM

Ok...back in the day...the GL-10 had the exact same suspension setup as the RX has now.

RX weighs in at 2670 lbs, showroom stock.

I had the GL-10 on race car scales one night, it weighed in at 2664, with junk still in the car...about 50 lbs worth of stuff...so its sitting at about 2610, +/- 10 lbs or so on autox day...

The RX handles better with the same suspension than the wagon.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Why? I dont get it. Did the engineers at SUBARU of the time make the 56B chassis better than the rest? Is the Coupe chassis more structually sound than the sedan/wagon?

Even w/out the PS rack bushing kit installed and the solid control arm bushings...the RX has better handling/turn in/response than the wagon. the RX feels like a freaking WRX car. Definatly feels better than the WRX's Ive driven...and the stock STi....the only STi that beats it is Midnight_Gold's STi.

so what makes the RX better?

(note the wagon was basically an RX *has D/R, LSD, custom suspension, EVERYTHING*...only lacked the actual 56B chassis)

the center of gravity is lower in the 3-dors i do believe. the height from the bottom of the rocker panels to the top of the roof should be lower. so in other words you have less wight up top pullin you around. just a guess

Hmmm.......going points...I know when i dropped the wagon's rump roast about 2 inches at its last autox before the final blow up...that was good for 9 tenths.

Umm the stickers that say RX? only thing left that the others didn't mention really..

Edit: hmm could it be that the coupe's actually have a body structure where the tail lights go to re-inforce the tail end structure a bit more. Where as the wagon doesn't since the tail gate opens there? NM basically what carfreak was saying

i vote for the stickers

OH NO3S!!1

that means when i repaint it I willneed to get RX decals put abck on!

I was going to have the car repainted...but its going to be PURE WHITE, trim and all, with only the front and read badges showing.

Go drive a sedan man!!

The sedans handle better than any of the coupes or wagons.

The route of the weight in an RX Coupe is the bloddy rear hatch glass.

The RX has little rear stiffness cause it's a huge open space. The Sedan has piles of reinforcement back there.

Not to mention. i believe the Sedans are the lightest

i read somewhere that the rx sedan weighed somewhere around 2400 or so. ultra light, and its pretty stiff in the corners as well. very noticeably lighter than the impreza. i think that ill be trying to get some better handling outta my rx when i get the chance, granted it handles nicely now. i have a set of coil over springs meant for the impreza, but ill be installing em on the rx after inspection.

the sealer goo crap... BAH!!!! Seam welding fixes that... My rally car (85 RX is completely seam welded) :D

Before we stripped it even further...The car had NOTHING.

No Powersteering

No Power Windows

No Power Door Locks

No Fancy Seats

The only thing power that it did have was Power Mirrors, and it Had A/C

Being a rally car...almost everything got tossed in the dumpster. A/C is gone, carpets are gone, seats are gone.

Although...we did put 90 Feet of Roll cage in the thing...so that made up for what we stripped out.

However, with this cage, and the seam welding..MAN it's stiff.

I think the 2500+ only applies to the '85 RX and part of that can be attributed to the lack of power steering, not sure what else they else they added to the later models to increase the weight 100+ pounds.

All the 87+ MY and so on increased weight due to different safety requirements and so on. Bumpers are different and so on. thats the weight difference.

85 RX listed in book has PS/AC and such...LOADED its 2520...and yes that only applies to 85-86 RX sedan.