Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dumb Question of the Day!

I just got in from doing some shopping.Bought a new jack and picked up the Marvels Mystery oil for my Tick of Death. Dumb question of the day...How long should I leave it in for..regular oil change time or should I run the car for a week or two then change it out??

See???? Like I said ..Dumb question right?

leave it in and keep adding it. it's not very much, so it's no surprise it will take awhile to do anything sometimes, if it does. i've used 2 quarts before and even 2 quarts of ATF in my current 205,000 original miles XT6 with no problems. absolutely no tapping from this thing, not even a little in cold weather or idle or whatever. i run Mobil 10w30 all year. original oil pump and everything else.

machine shop that rebuilds alot of motors and heads in my area said that even regular oil with frequent enough oil changes will gradually *clean* your motor...but i bet that takes a long freaking time so i wouldn't count on that getting you anywhere. but once you get rid of the tick, keep changing your oil frequently for that reason and you should be good to go.

you changed the oil pump seals already? is the tick coming from all around or one particular side or one particular cylinder? have you already diagnosed all of this?