Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Simple light bulb repair anyone??????

Have a bulb out in my rear defogger switch (the icon ,, not the indicator that

shows its on). Dealer says i have to replace the entire switch at 77$ plus labor.

Sounds kinda crazy........to replace a switch (that works) because a bulb is blown.

Can anyone tell me the first few steps to get at the bulb in the rear defogger switch?

Its a 98 Impreza Outback Sport. Thanks for any input from the board.

Robb

• 2 years later...

Yes, it is. Take out the two phillips screws above the gauge cluster, and the two right above your knees while your in the driving position. Drop the steering column down to it's lowest tilt setting, take the keys out, and put the wipers on High. Pull the gauge cluster surround off.

Undo the wires for the switches in the surround from the back of the switches. Remove the rear defrost switch from the surround, it comes out the front once you squeeze the locking tab. There are two bulbs mounted in the side, each looks like a phillips screw.

Give them a quarter turn, and the bulb should come out. Then buy the bulb and base from a dealer. Or, you can look at any of the climate control light threads for directions on replacing the bulb with and aftermarket one.

Well, I pulled the rear defog switch and did not find those "screw outs". I pryed the switch apart and found the single bulb, It is the same small one you mentioned. Now if I can get the switch back together!

The front fog lights has the 2 screw outs you mention.

Next...I'm looking at the hazard switch. It doesn't light either.

Todd

Here's an excellent thread on replacing those @#* Second Generation switch and climate control bulbs in Legacies. Hopefully it will help with your Impreza. I think you have some of the same switch gear. Some of the links in the thread come with photos...

You can use either the radio shack bulbs - some "assembly" required or save some time and pay for the dealer bulbs (careful, not all Subie Dealer part people know what to order and may invariably give you giant bulbs to something else rather than the tiny diode type bulbs).

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2498&page=1&pp=10&highlight=clima te+control+backlight

I was particularly impressed with this link:

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/sho...hp?threadid=91

Good luck.