Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WTF is this?

On the radiator, passenger side, below the thermoswitch..

DSC06683.JPG

It looked to have a flathead threaded slug in it. I say "looked" as I promptly attacked it with the screwdriver to snug it up when I found it leaking, I found it was made of plastic that was brittle as all hell. So I say it in past tense as its not slotted no more. :D

Anywho.. what the heck is it, and what route should I take to cure the leak that appears to be eminating from this point?

i wasn't able to locate a replacement draincock at the standard auto parts retailers for the XT6. if you experience the same problem i'd just get someone to send you a used one. check with local radiator shops, seems they'd have these things lying around or deal with this. there should be plenty of old rusty radiators out there with perfectly good draincocks that someone would part with.

it looks like the old drain cock is sheared off in the picture, is that the case?

i temporarily used what was left of my old drain cock with some sealant all around the threads and it worked fine until someone mailed me one.

as mentioned, it's threaded. if you can take the threaded part in, match the threads with something and use some sealant around the threads and you should be good to go. i'd make sure you get whatever you put in there to seat securely if it's not the standard drain cock, to prevent it from vibrating out. it will back out if it's not secure.

Raven,if you need a cock I have one.

Be sure to pull yours out first.

Then you can insert the one I have.

:lol: OK,that was all funny,but I really do have a drain cock if you need one.

Cheers.

Well..my mind went RIGHT to the gutter on this one....geesh its been a long time.:grin:

Raven,if you need a cock I have one.

Be sure to pull yours out first.

Then you can insert the one I have.

:lol: OK,that was all funny,but I really do have a drain cock if you need one.

Cheers.

Jeez Moosens, your just a little too eager to please!

Well, since its stripped all to hell, I'm going to pull the radiator tomorrow and knock the lil plastic bugger out with a punch.. well, knock it in and then flush it out. Should I actually search for a replacement drain cock in the Help! sections or will a bolt or somethin thread down into there. I'm more of a lower hose guy when it comes to draining.. so I'll never need the drain hole. What yall think?

Instead of carving the plug, take a flat screwdriver and heat the tip for a few minutes with a propane torch. Then press it into the plug and let it cool, it should turn pretty easily. Oh you don't need to get the screwdriver glowing, just a couple of minutes under the torch should be enough.

EXACTLY,what Graig said.

Heat the driver blade,insert,let cool,turn out,done.

And then you'll need my which you can't find in any store at any price.Don't i wish. :lol:

Most of us 70's owners have those around.I've got at least one complete radiator in excellent shape and another in very good condition.Good to boil them out at the age they're at.Go for the new cock plug and clean up the thermo sensor with some 0000 steel wool.Clean up the grounding point.Good for another 5 years with a good core.

Cheers.

a bolt won't work

it's tapered and designed to seal properly without additional sealer

Nope, not tapered. Straight thread with a land for the O-ring to seal on. A standard metric bolt with some teflon tape will work just fine. If you dont believe me I can show you the broken one laying on my bench and the bolt in the radiator of my RX. :-p

Good advice on the hot screwdriver trick, you really dont want that chunk of plastic floatin around in there.

Gary

IIRC, 12mm 1.25 pitch (at least on mine). Was thinking about putting a REAL drain on mine so that I could drain coolant into a pan instead of watering my underpans and burning my hands.
My wagon has this type, short hose attches to the nipple, works pretty good.

5061123.jpg

Gary

My wagon has this type, short hose attches to the nipple, works pretty good.

Gary

One of mine is kind of like that; looked around (sort of) for ones like it.

Any idea where to get one like yours? Please don't say dealer, as I have problems getting parts from them when I know what VIN and have the part in hand. :banghead: