Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WTF is this?

Okay.. heres what I did today:

I attempted the screwdriver/torch trick.. didnt work. Even with the tip glowing red, it cooled down faster than I could get the screwdriver down to the cock.

So, what I ended up doing was pulling the radiator (which was easier than I thought it was) and used a hammer to tap the screwdriver into the brittle plastic piece and turned it out. I then took the radiator up to the local hardware store to search fo bolts. I used an M10x25 size (which ironically has an 11/16 head.. not a metric head) with a 1.50 pitch. Threaded in just like it belonged there. The raised ring that surrounds the hole surrounds the bolt head perfectly.. just like Subaru knew that these things would break, and a bolt would've been the most likely replacement. I couldnt find my teflon tape anywhere.. so, since the radiator is copper, I snugged the bolt down enough to put some pressure on the threads.. enough to keep from leaking, which has worked out perfectly. I left the fans unplugged and ran the temp up above normal on purpose to see if it would drip, which it didnt. If it ever does, by then I would've found the tape somewhere.. I'll wrap it and put it back.

Heh... 45 cent bolt fixes what would've been a $5.89 draincock from the parts store. :D