Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lift help on 83 gl

Plumcracked

I am really looking forward to lifting my 4spd 83 gl, but I'm not to positive how to do it. I'm looking for possibly a website or a tutorial or basically any help on how to do it. I have experience on engines so I'm not a complete retard, but this is one thing i've never worked on before myself or with anyone so it's unfamiliar territory. Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Well you get documentation with the kit. I dunno if it's been updated or not but what I got read more like a pirates treasure map. A list of hints more then a step by step proccess. At first I thought it was kinda lame.... but then it just became yet another SUBARU ADVENTURE! :D What fun is having everything all spelled out for you? We'd sat there... stared at the blocks... read the last tip..... talked over some ideas..... then executed! Every step felt like an acomplishment :drunk:

http://www.subarubrat.com/hasseylift.htm

These are the plans I used to build my 4" lift kit years ago.

note that the front strut extensions in that kit don't work that great on a 4" lift so that will take some creativity on your part if you are doing a smaller lift like I did.

Lifting a sube is really pretty easy once you get you head around the concept of lifting the body from the "chassis" parts on a unibody car!

if you have some mechanical experience, i think you could do a ozified lift kit. can you say... pull a motor? put in a clutch? pull a tranny? if you can do any of that, you can do a lift kit in my opinion.

once you look at the kit, then crawl under and look at the car, it kind of comes together.

i did one last summer, did not have a clue about it beforehand. took me a few days, well worth the effort.

what I got read more like a pirates treasure map. A list of hints more then a step by step proccess. At first I thought it was kinda lame.... but then it just became yet another SUBARU ADVENTURE!
That's right on, morgan!

My lift was by far the biggest automotive job I've done thus far. That said, it was really easy. Time consuming, but not hard.

i recently installed a byb/pk lift and did it in two afternoons.it was simple if you pay attention to what you are doing and take all of the "hints".perplexing at first when you get it and lay all of the pieces out, but easy once you climb under and start.good luck.....hope you get OZIFIED!

It's really pretty intuitive. Just look over the instructions, lay out all the blocks in front of the car where the directions say, take a couple looks at the car to see where they go, and jump in. Do it when you aren't in a hurry so there is plenty of time to figure everything out, and don't be afraid to ask questions here.