Ultimate Subaru Message Board

clutch for modified EA82T

For those of you who run the EA82T with high boost or other serious mods, what kind of clutch do you use?

I was planning to use the XT6 clutch, but I hear from some that it still slips when running say 14 pounds boost with exhaust mods, cams, etc. I looked into getting a stage 3 XT6 clutch from www.clutchmasters.com, but I found the price tag to be way more than I wanted to spend. It is costs $598.00 for a stage 3 or 2 and it cost $442.00 for a stage 1. The stock XT6 clutch is $209 from them. I didn't expect to pay more than $350 dollars on a performance clutch. Maybe if I was racing I might shoot for the stage 3?

So do I put up the cash for a Stage 3 or 1? Is it worth it for a daily driver? Does the XT6 clutch slip badly enough? Should I stick with a stock XT6 clutch kit for $209? What are you guys running (brand, kind of clutch or model, price) and how does it perform?

Here is a list of mods I plan to do within the next month or so:

TWE Header

mandrel bent WRX downpipe

3.0 inch pipe back with high flow cat and muffler

delta mild cams

spider intake manifold

High flow cone filter

XT6 lightened flywheel

91 legacy turbo (VF11) with boost set to initially 11 PSI.

WRX intercooler with BPV

may decide to port the heads

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a new clutch assembly and it only slips noticably when my shifting is sloppy and I'm boosting about 14 psi. If I try I can make it slip, barely.

I use an improved header and 2" dp with 2" back to the hot dog muffler, and a well cooled tmic.

If it's a daily driver how often are you going to be going to be slammin' the gears wot?

Centerforce makes a Dual Friction setup for the EA series. Last I checked it was under $300. That should provide more than enough holding power for ya. :)

edit

Actually.. just rechecked and found it for $239 at DualFriction.com (Centerforce Part #DF504001). 200mm clutch set. And if you dont like the dual friction clutch, the Centerforce II can also be had.. for $185... its part #MST504001.

Cheers

Ive ran both stock setups. XT6 and stock 4WD turbo.

Both WILL slip when you've got the proper tuning and the car starts putting out over 200 HP.

The morning the Wagon blew up....I messed with the fuel so it would actually dump the proper (well, close to it...MORE instead of less atleast)...and went out on 13 PSI...ok, here is the mod list:

87+ turbo cams

Spyder intake+XT6 TB

TWE header/DP w/2.5 stright pipe

WRX TMIC

GReddy EBC

intake

XT6 clutch setup

Skip Lite Flywheel

Stock turbo bottom end

Custom fuel rail system w/mod injectors

that may not sound like much, but it did the trick.

once the fuel up high was added...the car pulled 2x harder than before...and before that i was keeping up with stock/near stock WRX's in stright lines (and curves) until about 105 MPH. After the clutch slipped during a fast shift, that was it, the clutch was TOAST. Would not hold at all. Even after letting it cool down and getting an easy start...once I got to about 3k RPMs and everything was spooling/squirting/sparking...bye bye clutch. It was only 3k miles old and only had 3 autocrosses on it.

Im looking at some Exedy clutches and going to look to get the stock pressure plate increased on the clamping force, and do to a hydrualic clutch setup.

Hi Marck,

You have a very similar setup to mine, VF11 - I have a Ford IC instead of a WRX IC (I want to get it replaced, just so I have more IC over my hood scoop) I'm also at 11 psi, and I haven't had any slipping issues with my XT6 clutch, as subyluvr2212 said.

WJM, what do you mean by "tuning"? What was invovled in your fuel mods? How much better is your exhaust than say - a stock WRX down/mid pipe with 3" straight pipe all the way back? How much of an improvement was the bigger TB?

I want more power!!!!! :brow:

For those who want to know:

FX100 (stage 1) for XT6 = part# 15-009-hd00; price: $442.00

FX200 (stage 2) for XT6 = part# unknown; price: $598.00

FX300 (stage 3) for XT6 = part# 15-009-hdtz; price: $598.00

all from www.clutchmasters.com

Wow, got a good turn out on this thread. Thanks for the quick replies. Some say they slip and some say they won't. I am going to look into the centerforce clutch and see what that is all about and then I'll let you know what I decide. Is there any other clutches out there for the XT6 that perform better than stock? For those of you who go with the stock XT6 clutch, do you buy the OEM version? If not, then which Brand?

front wheel drive has a small splined tranny. and the 2x clutch wont fit on your 4x tranny.

the xt6 and 4x ea82 series trannies have the same spline, and the same diameter clutch disc. so ea82 and er27 fitment is the same.

also the 2x is 7 7/8 instead of 8 7/8 diameter disc

ok, I just called Roger Warner from the Tech department at Centerforce and he said that they do not have clutches for the XT6 or the 4WD EA82(t) type cars. Their old subaru clutches are only for the EA81s and 2WD EA82s. I asked him if centerforce would be willing to add our 4WD cars to their catalog, and he said the only way they would consider making them for us is if there was a demand for it (from more than one person of course). He says he needs about one to two phone calls a week requesting it. Then he recommend www.clutchnet.com and ACT www.advancedclutch.com.

I checked out ACT's website and it seems that they only have clutches for new generation subarus.

So now I am looking at clutchnet.

WJM, what do you mean by "tuning"? What was invovled in your fuel mods? How much better is your exhaust than say - a stock WRX down/mid pipe with 3" straight pipe all the way back? How much of an improvement was the bigger TB?

I want more power!!!!! :brow:

I adjusted the spring pressure on the flapper door air flow meter to be 'weaker' therefor making the ecu think there is more airn comming in, therefor adding more fuel.

And some say they have 200hp:lol:

Sorry will.. you made it too easy;)

Well, i honestly think the wagon did....right before the blowby from the rusted cyl wall on two of the cylinders melted on of the pistons. The RX...is probably sitting at 140~150 right now with no IC.

after looking at clutchnet here: http://www.clutchnet.com/make/subaru.html#XT6

now which one should I get? I see 8 choices for the XT6. I guess prices will determine which one I get. Solid Hub or Spring Hub? Does the FT4WD tranny have 7/8 (T#21) or 1 (T#24) spline? I will shoot them an email.

the xt6 stock clutch has bigger harder springs than the regular ea82 clutches, to make the big motor less jaring. id want a solid core, but it would engage alot harder and more sudden. the springs make it smoother when you engage it.

7/8 is the 2wd and ea81 4x stuff. 1 inch is ea82 4x and xt6 =]