Ultimate Subaru Message Board

XT engine in a 89 GL10 possible?

Well, this is my totally unmechanical point of view. I blew my engine and requiring a new one. I noticed that the performance for the GL10 is 115hp or so and the XT was 13? something and since I'm doing the engine switch, I thought "what the hay" then I can mod the XT engine. Seems like a logical switch, but, like I said, from a totally unmechanical point of view.

simon, the unmechanic

ps what specificities do you require. What aspects of fuel systems and xmissions (manual btw) do you need?

thx for your thinking,

adaptations may be minimal or drastic based on the fuel systems and transmissions of both donor and recipient

could you be more specific?

WHY do you want to do the swap??

there may be four different fuel systems, carb, spfi, mpfi, and trubo

if you stay with same fuel system, there should be no issue

but if you change, example the gl10 is carb and the xt is turbo, you will have to install a computer, change fuel pump, and exhaust system

there may be a difference in transmission, if one was fwd and the other is 4wd it could bring issues of clutch cable, starter, flywheel, clutch

the simpler and similar both are, the smaller the number of cans of worms that have to be opened during the process

Ahh, gotcha, yah, I want to go from 89 Turbo (I think mpfi) AWD and wanting to pretty much switch over to similar in the XT format so you're answer pretty much helps me out. Wasn't sure if there is some weird sensor issue or other

thx again for your thinking,

Simon

there may be four different fuel systems, carb, spfi, mpfi, and trubo

if you stay with same fuel system, there should be no issue

but if you change, example the gl10 is carb and the xt is turbo, you will have to install a computer, change fuel pump, and exhaust system

there may be a difference in transmission, if one was fwd and the other is 4wd it could bring issues of clutch cable, starter, flywheel, clutch

the simpler and similar both are, the smaller the number of cans of worms that have to be opened during the process

The simplest thing to do would to be swap your blown longblock with a good EA82 turbo longblock (IE the engine minus the intake, sensors and distributor) just reuse your existing intake, sensors and distributor if they are working correctly. Any EA82 Turbo longblock will work, well as long as it's in good condition.

Oh by the way a stock XT turbo never got up in the 13X hp range. The later XTs with what's refered to as the spider intake did produce more power then the rest of the EA82 Turbo engines but the difference is less then 5 hp if I remember right. The spider intakes flow air a little better. If you want to you can use that intake and sensors when you do the swap. I've heard that it's not that hard to make it work with you existing EXU

The 135 Hp specification is for the 6-cylinder XT6. The 4-banger XT has similar specs to the rest of the EA82 engine series.

I've heard of people transplanting the ER27 (XT6) engine to replace an EA82. I think the amount of surgery required is very high.

You can use the block, heads, cams from an XT in your GL10. They're the same. However, you need to retain the intake manifold, etc. since the XT versions are different. If your GL10 is currently a turbo, be sure that the XT donor car is also turbo.

The XT might have a different accessory belt system (ribbed vs. V-belt), so you may need to use the stuff at the front of the block (water pump, crank pulley, tensioner, alternator, PS pump, AC compressor) from your GL10. They'll fit.

You can use a turbo donor engine in a non-turbo car, but the performance will be somewhat less. In this case, you need to plug a few oil and coolant connections that won't be needed for the non-existent turbo.

Just a curiousity. No doubt some adaptations required.

Simon

you guys are all confusing me.

turbo computers and na computers for the mpfi are the same! if you dont have a turbo already all you gotta do is drop the whole turbo motor into your mpfi/na car and put everything in. wiring and computer are the same.

xts are no different than any other mpfi ea82.

if your talkin the er27 in the xt6... it'd fit into an ea82 car with a little fab work, but it bolts right in, just like stock.