Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ARG!! Again....!

WJM

So...WRX TMIC made its way on the RX this morning. 14 PSI....oh yeah!! Stronger and faster than the wagon! I believe at this point the car is ready to go after stock WRX 1/4 mile times....

BUT! The big catch....the clutch is starting to slip a little where the TQ peaks....

Stock clutches are no good for those getting real power put of these things... :banghead:

What ta do what ta do...

Ok...I cant keep it a secret...here's my plans...

Get a stock 2.5 RS clutch, and stock RX clutch (4WD/turbo anything gen 3) and take measurments. I know the spline counts are the same....Warp3's going o be replacing his Kevelar clutch soon with a stock one (as the Kev. on stock pressure with the car's HP when it gets hot...SLIPS to no end)....so hopefully I can get that, and have the pre plate rebuilt for 50% more presure...and wham! new clutch for me.

well it'll happen with modding any turbo EA82T. If you plan on doing any mods to it, you will have to upgrade your clutch. Its a major must have! I'm planning on using a XT6 flywheel since its lighter then a regular EA82T flywheel, getting it lightened more, and then a stage 2 racing clutch for it. Add that to the lightened crank pulley with the 36-1 ring on it for the MS and I'll have problems trying to grab second fast enough!

what's the deal with kevlar? my wagon has a kev clutch disc..

What do you mean? Im not dis'in the Kev...

I know its pretty well indecructable, but you need mroe clamping force to get the same holding power as a stock clutch with the same clamping force.

For example...the Kev vs stock in Shane's (Warp3) RS with the same pres plate (stock) on both...the stock clutch will hold higher HP's when hot. The Kev one will start slipping when hot (2 drivers at an autox), and the hotter it gets, the more it slips. Add more pres to it, and the problem goes away.

Im sure it would be fine at stock engine output levels...but the RS has got about 200 HP's and a little more than that in TQ (cams, exhaust).

But then again, Pleiades had it in his Legacy...and its stock pretty much, and he still had slipping issues at some points. :confused:

EIther way, im going to get it if I can and get a higher pres. pres plate.

well it'll happen with modding any turbo EA82T. If you plan on doing any mods to it, you will have to upgrade your clutch. Its a major must have! I'm planning on using a XT6 flywheel since its lighter then a regular EA82T flywheel, getting it lightened more, and then a stage 2 racing clutch for it.

Hey Caboobaroo,

Can you give more details on this? I mean, where are you getting the stage 2 racing clutch from? Is the stage 2 racing clutch a racing clutch for use with the XT6 flywheel or is this just an idea? I had planned on using the XT6 flywheel with an XT6 clutch kit so this is why I wanted to know. Thanks!

Funny, I posted a while back that I had no issues with slippage but after stepping up to 14 psi and a more direct intake routing... bam slippage.

Might have something to do to with towing out that Chevy the other day, stuheenky lol.

So, uh yeah, I'm interested in a stronger clutch too.

Another recent thread talked about Centerforce clutches. The design of the pressure plate should suit the turbo vehicles really well: They use "finger" weights to keep low speed pressure reasonable (stop and go, 'round town driving), but really boosts (pun!!!) the clamping pressure as revs rise. Prices looked reasonable too. I think the only prob was finding the right part for 4WD subes.

Hey Caboobaroo,

Can you give more details on this? I mean, where are you getting the stage 2 racing clutch from? Is the stage 2 racing clutch a racing clutch for use with the XT6 flywheel or is this just an idea? I had planned on using the XT6 flywheel with an XT6 clutch kit so this is why I wanted to know. Thanks!

I believe it is a Centerforce clutch but I can't remember off the top of my head. I got the info here somewhere because I was helping Hondasucks figure out a good clutch to use when he was planning on modding his '87 turbowagon. Just gotta look around. There's a thread that was started about clutches just a few days ago I think. Look it up!

Hey Caboobaroo,

XT6 and RX (all 4WD/Turbo for that matter for EA82) is pretty much the same stuff. The flywheel weights differ some...but the XT6 is the lighest one.

DO NOT WASTE TIME on the XT6 clutch set. It will slip at 14+ PSI on a well setup car....that and it was slipping MASSIVELY on my wagon at 12 (large TB, spyder intake, TWE pipes, custom fuel system, WRX TMIC...etc...)

Any flywheel will do as long as its a 4WD one, just send it to skip and he can lighten it up considerably. I have one of those....I also have one in the RX that was done by a local shop...its about 18 lbs....the skip one I tihnk it 16 lbs IIRC.

Another recent thread talked about Centerforce clutches. The design of the pressure plate should suit the turbo vehicles really well: They use "finger" weights to keep low speed pressure reasonable (stop and go, 'round town driving), but really boosts (pun!!!) the clamping pressure as revs rise. Prices looked reasonable too. I think the only prob was finding the right part for 4WD subes.
Are you talking about this thread?

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=26031&page=1&pp=10&highlight=clutches

If so, here is a quote about Centerforce--->

ok, I just called Roger Warner from the Tech department at Centerforce and he said that they do not have clutches for the XT6 or the 4WD EA82(t) type cars. Their old subaru clutches are only for the EA81s and 2WD EA82s. I asked him if centerforce would be willing to add our 4WD cars to their catalog, and he said the only way they would consider making them for us is if there was a demand for it (from more than one person of course). He says he needs about one to two phone calls a week requesting it. Then he recommend www.clutchnet.com and ACT www.advancedclutch.com.

I checked out ACT's website and it seems that they only have clutches for new generation subarus.

So now I am looking at clutchnet.

So a Centerforce setup would put me out of the loop.

Are you talking about this thread?.
Yes, that was the one. I looked at it again after I posted.

The door is open a crack, with them saying that contacts of a couple per week might make them reconsider. I am willing, as I have a few clutches to replace in the near future.