Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intercooler piping question...

Silicone is best, but any reinforced rubber hose will do. I even ran a piece of rad hose for a while, any tubing will do after the charge cooler cause it won't be all that hot, into the cooler you're kind of limited to pricier stuff. I usually order my stuff through a heavy duty mech supplier they usually have the best prices and selections for sizes 1.5" ID and up.

I say silicone only as oil gets in there too. Rubber and oil dont mix to well over time.

I used a combination of recycled silicone hose from odd jobs. It can be purchased from truck supply places. also www.turbohoses.com has some great stuff. they really explain hoses well too.

temporarily I am using a combination of black plumbing fittings for bends(hardware store) and steel pipe(muffler shop) for straights. I plan to order some mandrel bends to finish it off proper.

oh yeah and a bend of a junk yard ford probe turbo.

I stock pile pipe, hoses, and elbows for just such projects.

also note that this is with a TD04 and intercooler mounted sideways.

also www.turbohoses.com has some great stuff. they really explain hoses well too.

temporarily I am using a combination of black plumbing fittings for bends(hardware store) and steel pipe(muffler shop) for straights.

Using plumbing fittings & exhuast pipe on mine right now too. And old radiator hose on the intake side temporarily unitl I fix it today hopefully. I will order replacement hoses from turbohoses after the holidays though (low cash), I thank Russ for that link they have everything I need.

well I've decided I'm going to try a muffler shop on making me custom mandrel bent piping and add some silicone pieces in there where the piping meets the turbo and the intercooler, etc. Basically means spending some $$ for it all to be made but I think in the end, it will be definatly worth it, especially with the mods I'm doing:)