Ultimate Subaru Message Board

No Photoshop This time... now the grill.

Found a spare grill in the junkyard and just couldnt resist. As soon as i got it home i started with the dremel. Took a few hours to just prep the grill, then i started with the bondo. What a mess I made, but enough sand paper and a few choice dremel bits made easy work of it.

Its still not finished, there are some rough spots, but the Bondo and sandpaper gave me a headache, so i'll finish up tomorrow.

For now... pix!

DSC01691.jpg

DSC01694.jpg

DSC01693.jpg

Soon i'll have one of the grill on the car.

-Brian

When you guys are doing mods like this (and similar) look in the auto store for Fiberglas mix, it's chopped mill fiber in resin. You add the catylist (like Bondo) and mix it and apply it in layers ... much stronger and can be blended to anything. I think there's even a Bondo brand version of the stuff. Keep your cheese grater handy and smooth it while it's partially gone off (cheese hard) and you'll save hours of sanding and blending edges.

I like to use just the rasp blade without the handle, that way I can bend and flex it to fit curves. I just did the nose bowl of my airplane this way. I had to remove a HUGE airscoop for the oil cooler I relocated and smooth in the lower chin of the bowl.

Fiberglass was another option, but i didnt know about it till after I purchased the bondo and the mesh to fill the gaps. I will paint the center support black when the grill is done. Right now its only about 95% complete. I need to do alittle more bondo work and alot more sanding, then paint the grill. I dont think i want to put wire mesh behind the grill, but I will definatly be painting that center support black to hide it alittle.

NKX your grill looks nice, but we have two different grills. My grill originally started as a 3dr coupe grill, your grill is a EA82 wagon grill. Still, good job :)

I will be getting a SVX Hood emblem to replace my grill emblem. I will mount it to the hood, in the center in the very front... kinda like how the SVX has it.

-Brian